The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu (Noel Chiappa)
To: tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org
Cc: jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Re: [TUHS] svr2 delete behavior
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 09:37:43 -0500 (EST)	[thread overview]

    > From: Will Senn

    > anything similar to modern behavior when handling the delete/backspace
    > key where the character is deleted from the input and rubbed out? The
    > default, like in v6/v7 for erase and kill is # and @. I can live with
    > this, if I can't get it to do the rubout, because at least you can see
    > the # in the input

I use ASCII 'backspace' (^H) on my V6, and it 'sort of' works; it doesn't
erase the deleted character on the screen, but if one then types corrected
characters, they overlay the deleted ones, leaving the corrected input.  That
should work on everything later than V6.

The MIT PWB1 tty handler (link in a prior message) not only supported a 'kill
line' (we generally used '^U') which actually visibly deleted the old line
contents (on screen terminals, of course; on printing terminals you're
stuck), it also had suppport for '^R' (re-type line) and some other stuff.

	Noel