The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] BSD question: Kurt Shoens, or Kurt Schoens?
@ 2023-05-02 21:31 Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2023-05-02 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Hello.

Even in these rusty times (oh what complicated chemical processes
there are!) a question that i hope someone can answer.

In both Spinellis' UNIX history repo as well as the CSRG one (via
robohack/ucb-csrg-bsd.git) one can find two ways of writing Kurt
Shoen's name, and whereas i, who always refer to Mail and its
"usr.bin/mail/def.h" (aac48ec10b56f59b321fb033a36bca2114ef061b):

[ Author:     Kurt Shoens <kas>
  AuthorDate: 1980-10-08 08:53:34 -0800]

  + * Author: Kurt Shoens (UCB) March 25, 1978

one can find the name "Kurt Schoens" as early as 4.2 BSD (curses,
twinkle1), and then in a growing number of files, especially after
1993 when Keith Bostic and then Kirk McKusick did

  admin/admin/contrib/address.list and
  admin/admin/contrib/contrib and
  share/man/man0/title.cdrom

But one can also see the commit

  Author:     Kurt A. Schoens <kas@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
  AuthorDate: 1980-10-09 02:48:47 -0800

and that is strange, as i presume all-automatic version control
conversions here?  Schoens .. is a bug?

Thank you.

--steffen

|(By Robert Gernhardt)
|~~
|..and in spring, hear David Leonard sing..
|
|The black bear,          The black bear,
|blithely holds his own   holds himself at leisure
|beating it, up and down  tossing over his ups and downs with pleasure
|~~
|Farewell, dear collar bear

* [TUHS] Re: BSD question: Kurt Shoens, or Kurt Schoens?
@ 2023-05-02 21:43 ` Jeremy C. Reed
From: Jeremy C. Reed @ 2023-05-02 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steffen Nurpmeso; +Cc: tuhs

His wife's email told me "shoens".

* [TUHS] Re: BSD question: Kurt Shoens, or Kurt Schoens?
@ 2023-05-02 21:50 ` Nelson H. F. Beebe
From: Nelson H. F. Beebe @ 2023-05-02 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steffen Nurpmeso; +Cc: tuhs

I did a lookup in the American Mathematical Society database for
Schoens and Shoens; only the latter is found, in this article

	Data sufficiency for queries on cache
	Oded Shmueli and Kurt Shoens
	Information Processing Letters 65(4) 209--216, 27 February 1998
	https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-0190(97)00205-6

The PDF file has "Shoens" as well.

In

	Diomidis Spinellis
	A repository of {Unix} history and evolution
	Empirical Software Engineering 22(3) 1372--1404 June 2017
	https://doi.org/10.1007/s10664-016-9445-5

the article body also has "Shoens".

In the TeX User Group bibliography archives, I find 7 entries
with the spelling "Shoens", and none with "Schoens".

- University of Utah                                                          -
- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB    Internet e-mail: beebe@math.utah.edu  -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       beebe@acm.org  beebe@computer.org -

* [TUHS] Re: BSD question: Kurt Shoens, or Kurt Schoens?
@ 2023-05-02 21:58   ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2023-05-02 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nelson H. F. Beebe; +Cc: tuhs

Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote in
 <CMM.0.95.0.1683064236.beebe@gamma.math.utah.edu>:
 |I did a lookup in the American Mathematical Society database for
 |Schoens and Shoens; only the latter is found, in this article
 |
 | Data sufficiency for queries on cache
 | Oded Shmueli and Kurt Shoens
 | Information Processing Letters 65(4) 209--216, 27 February 1998
 | https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-0190(97)00205-6
 |
 |The PDF file has "Shoens" as well.
 |
 |In
 |
 | Diomidis Spinellis
 | A repository of {Unix} history and evolution
 | Empirical Software Engineering 22(3) 1372--1404 June 2017
 | https://doi.org/10.1007/s10664-016-9445-5
 |
 |the article body also has "Shoens".
 |
 |In the TeX User Group bibliography archives, I find 7 entries
 |with the spelling "Shoens", and none with "Schoens".

Thank you very much for your effort, Mr. Beebe.

--steffen

@ 2023-05-02 22:47   ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2023-05-02 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy C. Reed; +Cc: tuhs

Jeremy C. Reed wrote in
 <15c15b6d-cc6d-1fcc-5feb-4749111fb050@reedmedia.net>:
 |His wife's email told me "shoens".
 --End of <15c15b6d-cc6d-1fcc-5feb-4749111fb050@reedmedia.net>

Thank you, a Polly (reiterating Kirk McKusicks enthusiastic commit
of 1993 that i have seen several times in the last hours) is
naturally always fully trustworthy.

git filter-branch and .mailmap could do a bit i think.
And NetBSD has five files to fix, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and DragonFly
(still alive) are all fine out.

(Personally coming in via Polly Jean Harvey, a British woman, on
battered books and fog rolling down behind the mountains.)

Ciao from Germany!!

--steffen