The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Fwd: Message from the family of Bram Moolenaar
@ 2023-08-05 20:08 Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2023-08-05 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

I do not know whether it is right, and i am surely not the right
person to mourn in public, but i wanted to forward this.

I only spoke to him once, he mailed me in private, but i could not
help him supporting Uganda, even though i admired what he was
doing, and often looked.

Local capacity building, and (mutual) respect for local culture
and practice, despite all sharp spikes and edges the storm causes
over time, that is surely the way to do it right.

--- Forwarded from Bram Moolenaar <Bram@Moolenaar.net> ---
Sender: vim_announce@googlegroups.com
To: vim_announce@googlegroups.com
Subject: Message from the family of Bram Moolenaar
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 13:19:30 +0100 (WEST)
From: Bram Moolenaar <Bram@Moolenaar.net>

Dear all,

It is with a heavy heart that we have to inform you that Bram Moolenaar passed away on 3 August 2023.
Bram was suffering from a medical condition that progressed quickly over the last few weeks.

Bram dedicated a large part of his life to VIM and he was very proud of the VIM community that you are all part of.

We as family are now arranging the funeral service of Bram which will take place in The Netherlands and will be held in the Dutch lanuage. The extact date, time and place are still to be determined.
Should you wish to attend his funeral then please send a message to funeralbram@gmail.com. This email address can also be used to get in contact with the family regarding other matters, bearing in the mind the situation we are in right now as family.

With kind regards,
The family of Bram Moolenaar

You received this message from the  "vim_announce" maillist.
---

 -- End forward <20230805121930.4AA8F1C0A68@moolenaar.net>

--steffen

|(By Robert Gernhardt)

* [TUHS] Re: Fwd: Message from the family of Bram Moolenaar
@ 2023-08-06  0:15 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2023-08-06  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

I've used vim for a very long time, super grateful for Bram's work.  Vim
has all of the usefulness of vi and then tossed in buffers so vi wasn't
worse than emacs, I doubt I've used 10% of the stuff that he added to
vim.  For me, it was a portable vi that worked everywhere, faithful
to vi, with buffers.  I use it every day, I'm typing this email in it.

He was only 62, so sad.

He will be missed and remembered.

:help iccf

and perhaps donate in his memory, I will.

--
---
Larry McVoy           Retired to fishing          http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/boat

* [TUHS] Re: Fwd: Message from the family of Bram Moolenaar
@ 2023-08-06  1:34 ` steve jenkin
From: steve jenkin @ 2023-08-06  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS

Steffen,

Thanks very much for the note.

The world for me is a greyer place with his passing.

Lots of articles on the ’Net of his passing.

> On 6 Aug 2023, at 06:08, Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu> wrote:
>
> I do not know whether it is right, and i am surely not the right
> person to mourn in public, but i wanted to forward this.

===========

<https://www.linkedin.com/in/bram-moolenaar-56b5a55/?originalSubdomain=es>

	Main author of Vim, the text editor.

	I have been working on all kinds of software,
		from machine code and assembly, via embedded software
		to user interfaces and web applications.

	Spending most of my time working on Vim 9 script: faster, better.

	Now retired.
	Last work i did for Google was modernizing Merchant Center.

	Worked on a nice new programming language: Zimbu. Paused for now.

	Specialties:
		Spell checking algorithms, complex designs, being different.

===========

A Tribute to Bram Moolenaar, The Maestro Behind Vim Code Editor
	<https://stackdiary.com/a-tribute-to-bram-moolenaar/>

In a profound loss to the world of computing and software development,
	Bram Moolenaar,
the creator of the widely respected Vim code editor, has passed away at the age of 62.
The family announced his passing in a heartfelt Google Groups message on August 5,
revealing a sudden progression of a medical condition that had afflicted him.

===========

Family Announcement
	<https://groups.google.com/g/vim_announce/c/tWahca9zkt4?pli=1>

===========

--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)

mailto:sjenkin@canb.auug.org.au http://members.tip.net.au/~sjenkin

* [TUHS] Re: Fwd: Message from the family of Bram Moolenaar
@ 2023-08-06  1:42   ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2023-08-06  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: tuhs

On Sat, Aug 5, 2023 at 8:15 PM Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:

I've used vim for a very long time, super grateful for Bram's work.  Vim
> has all of the usefulness of vi and then tossed in buffers so vi wasn't
> worse than emacs, I doubt I've used 10% of the stuff that he added to
> vim.

I doubt if anyone has, with the possible exception of Bram himself.  Vim's
UI is the very model of a non-compact interface.

* [TUHS] Re: Fwd: Message from the family of Bram Moolenaar
@ 2023-08-06  2:03     ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2023-08-06  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Cowan; +Cc: tuhs

On Sat, Aug 05, 2023 at 09:42:32PM -0400, John Cowan wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 5, 2023 at 8:15???PM Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:
>
> I've used vim for a very long time, super grateful for Bram's work.  Vim
> > has all of the usefulness of vi and then tossed in buffers so vi wasn't
> > worse than emacs, I doubt I've used 10% of the stuff that he added to
> > vim.
>

> I doubt if anyone has, with the possible exception of Bram himself.  Vim's
> UI is the very model of a non-compact interface.

Not gonna engage.  I got a lot of usefulness from vim in the last 30 years,
it's been my editor of choice.  I'm grateful for it, it was better than I
could have done.
--
---

@ 2023-08-06 13:30       ` Andy Kosela