The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] 101 fixes for unix V6?
@ 2015-11-24  2:10 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2015-11-24  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The phototypesetter version of Unix was V7.

I'm not sure of what's being said here. Manuals from
the 4th edition on were phototypeaet, first on a
CAT and later a Linotron (if I remember the name right).

Doug

* [TUHS] 101 fixes for unix V6?
@ 2015-11-24  2:19 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2015-11-24  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 09:10:43PM -0500, Doug McIlroy wrote:
> > The phototypesetter version of Unix was V7.
>
> I'm not sure of what's being said here. Manuals from
> the 4th edition on were phototypeaet, first on a
> CAT and later a Linotron (if I remember the name right).

Taken from http://www.darwinsys.com/history/hist.html:

The early evolution of the C language has been described elsewhere ...
It is May, 1975, and the new improved Sixth Edition is about to be released...
There follows a succession of releases of the C compiler. The PWB
1.0 release of UNIX, the first outside the labs of a non-Research
from Bell, goes out in 1977. And a special release tape known only as
``Phototypesetter Version 7'' includes a new release of troff as well
as the C compiler, assembler, loader, archiver and bits of the C library.

Cheers, Warren

* [TUHS] 101 fixes for unix V6?
@ 2015-11-24  2:22   ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2015-11-24  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 01:19:18PM +1100, Warren Toomey wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 09:10:43PM -0500, Doug McIlroy wrote:
> > > The phototypesetter version of Unix was V7.
> >
> > I'm not sure of what's being said here. Manuals from
> > the 4th edition on were phototypeaet, first on a
> > CAT and later a Linotron (if I remember the name right).
>
> Taken from http://www.darwinsys.com/history/hist.html:
>
> The early evolution of the C language has been described elsewhere ...
> It is May, 1975, and the new improved Sixth Edition is about to be released...
> There follows a succession of releases of the C compiler. The PWB
> 1.0 release of UNIX, the first outside the labs of a non-Research
> from Bell, goes out in 1977. And a special release tape known only as
> ``Phototypesetter Version 7'' includes a new release of troff as well
> as the C compiler, assembler, loader, archiver and bits of the C library.

It's worth noting that Unix was built for troff.  Typesetting patents
if I recall correctly.

* [TUHS] 101 fixes for unix V6?
@ 2015-11-24 14:12 ` Milo Velimirović
From: Milo Velimirović @ 2015-11-24 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Nov 23, 2015, at 8:10 PM, Doug McIlroy <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:
>
>> The phototypesetter version of Unix was V7.
>
> I'm not sure of what's being said here. Manuals from
> the 4th edition on were phototypeaet, first on a
> CAT and later a Linotron (if I remember the name right).

Mergenthaler(-Linotype) Linotron 202

I used one of these beasts, a CRT based phototypesetter, in the late 1980s - 8” floppy disks, serial communication that pretended to be a paper tape reader. One of those times we really needed a Users' Group and there wasn’t one.

See also the memo, recently publicized here, ‘Experience with the Mergenthaler Linotron 202 Phototypesetter, or, How We Spent Our Summer Vacation’ https://www.cs.princeton.edu/~bwk/202/summer.scanned.pdf

I wish I had had access to the schematics at the end of the memo. That would have saved days of work!

 - MIlo

* [TUHS] 101 fixes for unix V6?
@ 2015-11-22 21:59   ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2015-11-22 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

There's also USENET groups that had bug fixes for different versions
of Unix posted to them. comp.bugs.misc leaps to mind. I recall at least
some v7 bug fixes were posted there. Google's interface is kinda lame,
so I couldn't search it very well for v6 bugs, but there were maybe a
dozen or so v7 patches dating from the late 1980's. While not
as convenient as a fix tape, there may be something there of interest.

Warner

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/22/15 1:32 PM, Warren Toomey wrote:
>
> Hi all, I just receivd this e-mail from Will Senn who has just joined
> the TUHS mailing list:
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Will Senn -----
> Hi,
> I am conducting research on older UNIX operating systems and came
> across a letter from Richard Wolf to Ian Johnstone, dated Feb 5, 1979.
> On p. 29 of the AUUGN, Volume 1 number 3, Mr. Wolf refers to a set of
> 101 fixes for research version 6. In my research, I am currently using
> v6 and wondered if you knew where I might find the fixes or if the
> bits are known to exist?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Will
> ----- End forwarded message -----
>
> Will, there was a "50 bugs" tape for 6th Edition Unix that was "released"
> to Unix owners in a very interesting distribution method: seehttp://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic.php?story=20060616172103795
>
> You can find it in the Unix Archive. Look in Applications/Spencer_Tapes/unsw3.tar.gz. It is the file usr/sys/v6unix/unix_changes.
>
> Does anybody know of something which could be described as "101 fixes for
> research version 6"? The phototypesetter version of Unix was V7.
>
> Cheers all and welcome to the list Will.
>
> 	Warren
>

> Warren,
>
> In looking at the Spencer tape, I can see how this might be considered the
> 101 fixes (Wolff's comment that he had only "heard about" the changes,
> might indicate a quantity mismatch). The 52 fixes in
> usr/sys/v6unix/unix_changes represent "the differences between level 6 unix
> and bell unix". On top of those changes, there are 31 additional fixes
> called "CORRECTIONS to level 6 code" and a whopping 57 "programs written
> specifically for or heavily modified for, AUSAM" which I suppose are what
> are referred to as "ENHANCEMENTS to level 6 UNIX". The tape contains "The
> Second Australian Sixth Edition" and has #ifdef's to determine if the
> system is an AUSAM system. The 52 v6 fixes are straightforward to see
> because the tape has the original source in one directory tree and the
> changes in another. Whereas the other enhancements and fixes are a bit more
> challenging because they are related to AUSAM's mods.
>
> Thanks for the warm welcome, the direction, and for posting my question.
>
> One more question, how did you zero in on
> Applications/Spencer_Tapes/unsw3.tar.gz as containing the fixes, the notes
> in the archive, from Spencer, are pretty bare:
>
> unsw3.tar is yet another anthology, this one Australian. I can't find a
> README file, but some quick experimental grepping doesn't find any dates
> later than 1977, so this one may be really early.
>
> Regards,
>
> Will

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] 101 fixes for unix V6?
@ 2015-11-22 20:59 ` Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2015-11-22 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2015-11-22 19:33 ` Ronald Natalie
From: Ronald Natalie @ 2015-11-22 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don’t recall 101 fixes, but there was a 50 fixes tape that came out of the labs for version 6.