The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] The French SOL Project
@ 2017-12-12 14:18 Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2017-12-12 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the early 1980s, a bunch of French researchers set out to build a clone
of UNIX/V7 in Pascal (using a ukernel IIRC).   The project was the SOL
project [Gien, 1983].   I believe it eventually begat the Chorus system
(which was C++); which UI was going to use for System V/R5 before it all
blew up.

1)   Does anyone know what happen to SOL?  Was it finished, deployed, used
for anything?

2.) Did the sources and doc survive (and who owns the IP)?   I think those
should be in the TUHS archives, as I think this was the first attempt at a
rewrite of UNIX in something other than C (or assembler).

3.) On a similar thought, did the Chorus code survive and who owns the IP?

Clem

 [Gien, 1983]*“The SOL Operating System*”, Michel Gien, USENIX Association,
1983, Proceedings of the Summer ’83 USENIX Conference, Toronto, On, Canada,
July, 1983, Pages 75-78
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] The French SOL Project
@ 2017-12-12 14:52 ` Pierre Chapuis
From: Pierre Chapuis @ 2017-12-12 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

SOL was a spin-off research project from a more famous French research
project called Cyclades, the first datagram network [1]. Knowing that I
would guess that the IP may be owned by INRIA.
Chorus Systems was a startup which was acquired by Sun in 1997, and the
IP belongs to Oracle. However version 5.0 was open sourced by Sun and
forked under the name Jaluna, apparently the sources can still be found
at SourceForge [2].
I couldn't find any sources for SOL, and I don't think it has ever been
completed.
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CYCLADES
[2] https://sourceforge.net/projects/jaluna/files/Developer%20Edition/1.0/
--
Pierre Chapuis

@ 2017-12-13  2:11   ` Nemo
From: Nemo @ 2017-12-13  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 December 2017 at 09:52, Pierre Chapuis <catwell at catwell.info> wrote:
> SOL was a spin-off research project from a more famous French research
> project called Cyclades, the first datagram network [1]. Knowing that I
> would guess that the IP may be owned by INRIA.

I was curious to see if Cyclades wound up in any of hte INRIA repos.
No luck but I did find this curious repository:
https://www.softwareheritage.org/ that may one day have it.

N.

> Chorus Systems was a startup which was acquired by Sun in 1997, and the IP
> belongs to Oracle. However version 5.0 was open sourced by Sun and forked
> under the name Jaluna, apparently the sources can still be found at
> SourceForge [2].
>
> I couldn't find any sources for SOL, and I don't think it has ever been
> completed.
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CYCLADES
> [2] https://sourceforge.net/projects/jaluna/files/Developer%20Edition/1.0/
>
> --
> Pierre Chapuis
>

> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017, at 15:18, Clem Cole wrote:
>
> In the early 1980s, a bunch of French researchers set out to build a clone
> of UNIX/V7 in Pascal (using a ukernel IIRC).   The project was the SOL
> project [Gien, 1983].   I believe it eventually begat the Chorus system
> (which was C++); which UI was going to use for System V/R5 before it all
> blew up.
>
> 1)   Does anyone know what happen to SOL?  Was it finished, deployed, used
> for anything?
>
> 2.) Did the sources and doc survive (and who owns the IP)?   I think those
> should be in the TUHS archives, as I think this was the first attempt at a
> rewrite of UNIX in something other than C (or assembler).
>
> 3.) On a similar thought, did the Chorus code survive and who owns the IP?
>

> Clem
>

>  [Gien, 1983]“The SOL Operating System”, Michel Gien, USENIX Association,
> 1983, Proceedings of the Summer ’83 USENIX Conference, Toronto, On, Canada,
> July, 1983, Pages 75-78

* [TUHS] The French SOL Project
@ 2017-12-13  2:14     ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2017-12-13  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Dec 12, 2017, at 6:11 PM, Nemo <cym224 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I was curious to see if Cyclades wound up in any of hte INRIA repos.
> No luck but I did find this curious repository:
> https://www.softwareheritage.org/ that may one day have it.

Such a pity a site promoting Olde Software needs eight CPU cores and a 2GB memory footprint browser to render its home page :-P