The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Tommy Flowers!
@ 2016-12-21 20:31 Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2016-12-21 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tommy Flowers MBE was born on this day in 1905; amongst other things he
designed Colossus, the world's first programmable electronic computer,
which was used to break the German Lorenz cipher (not Enigma, as some
think).

Relevance to Unix?  Well, without the world's first usable computer we
would not have the world's first usable OS, and M$ would probably reign
supreme by now...

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Tommy Flowers!
@ 2016-12-21 20:37 ` Michael Kjörling
From: Michael Kjörling @ 2016-12-21 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22 Dec 2016 07:31 +1100, from dave at horsfall.org (Dave Horsfall):
> Relevance to Unix?  Well, without the world's first usable computer we
> would not have the world's first usable OS, and M$ would probably reign
> supreme by now...

Just imagine how differently things would have turned out had a major
software company, in the dawn of the 1980s, decided to seriously
pursue its UNIX variant rather than a clone of CP/M as it turned out.

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael at kjorling.se

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Tommy Flowers!
@ 2016-12-21 21:54   ` Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2016-12-21 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016, Michael Kjörling wrote:

> On 22 Dec 2016 07:31 +1100, from dave at horsfall.org (Dave Horsfall):
>> Relevance to Unix?  Well, without the world's first usable computer we
>> would not have the world's first usable OS, and M$ would probably reign
>> supreme by now...
>
> Just imagine how differently things would have turned out had a major
> software company, in the dawn of the 1980s, decided to seriously
> pursue its UNIX variant rather than a clone of CP/M as it turned out.

It did get a lot better after they added a Unix-like file API to v2.0,
though. ;)

-uso.

* [TUHS] Happy birthday, Tommy Flowers!
@ 2016-12-21 22:06   ` Paul Ruizendaal