The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Kernel Sizes
@ 2018-01-22 10:46 Rudi Blom
From: Rudi Blom @ 2018-01-22 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

16K kernels?

Well, I came late to the UNIX world. I only remember getting a SCO
UNIX 3.2V4.2 kernel onto a single 3-1/2" diskette and still have all I
wanted including (with scripts on a second diskette of course :-) ).
That was 25 years ago.

Mind you, from there I moved to Digital UNIX /vmunix 9,613.712, Tru64
17.930.976 to HP-UX 11iv2  66.161.464 and HP-UX 11iv3 127.929.032

Of course, I also got lots more functionality I'm supposed to want and need :-)

Cheers,
rudi

* [TUHS] Kernel Sizes
@ 2018-01-21 22:36 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2018-01-21 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I seem to remember that at some point early on, we spent some of our
> capital budget on buying another 16K bytes for the PDP-11.  As I
> recall, the deal was that the OS got 8K and users got 8K.  I also
> recall that that purchase was 20% of our capital budget for the
> year...

> Doug, did I remember this correctly?

> Steve

Things did happen that way. I don't specifically remember the
numbers, but those you state have the ring of truth.

Memory came in (expensive) 4K increments. When the keepers of
Unix in the Charlotte wire center wanted to add 4K, their
management consented only on the condition that the wizards
in Research would confirm that roposed new functionality
really required it.

doug

* [TUHS] Kernel Sizes
@ 2018-01-21 22:03 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2018-01-21 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> A self-imposed limit of 16K held in v1

> 16k words or 16k bytes?

Bytes.

doug

* [TUHS] Kernel Sizes
@ 2018-01-20 18:11 Warner Losh
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Warner Losh @ 2018-01-20 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

For a presentation I'm doing this summer on FreeBSD, I thought it would be
cool to get the kernel sizes for various old flavors of Unix. I see numbers
for v5, v6 and v7 in the tuhs tree view, and it appears these versions are
complete enough for me to extract the kernels themselves. However, I see
nothing prior to that. The archives seem to be somewhat incomplete, but I'm
wondering if people have sizes for earlier versions. Later versions are
more problematic because they move to new hardware, instruction sets, etc.
For this graph to be meaningful, it would need to be pdp-11 only, though
I'm of the opinion more data is better than less. I'll also be extracting
the different V7 commercial kernels: V7M, Ultrix and Venix and the BSD 2.x
releases, but those appear to be intact enough in the archives to extract
data on my own. I've heard rumors there's a SysV for the pdp-11, but I've
not been able to locate images for that. I don't need the actual images,
just sizes with some reference for the source of the data. It's just for
one slide in the talk, so I don't want to burn a ton of time on it...

The larger picture is that I've written what's effectively modprobe for
FreeBSD and will be talking about it in detail. How it's like modprobe, how
it's different, how all the pieces fit together, history of similar
efforts, etc. Part of the driving force here is the bloated FreeBSD GENERIC
kernel.

Of course, I'll share the final report I'm planning on sizes with the group.

Thanks for any data you can provide.

Warner