The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Original 9 track tape of Unix 7th edition from Bell Laboratories.
@ 2005-08-28 17:23 James Falknor
From: James Falknor @ 2005-08-28 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

To all concerned,
    I discovered this little gem up for auction on E-Bay.
    One of the stickers state that it is Seventh Edition from Bell Labs
    I have placed a small bid on it ($5.00 US).

Advice required:
1. Would it be worth continuing to bid on?
2. What should my highest bid be?
3. Would TUHS be interested in the tape if I should win it? I don't have
a tape machine or computer for such tape.

Thank you,
James Falknor

* [TUHS] Original 9 track tape of Unix 7th edition from Bell Laboratories.
@ 2005-08-28 21:40 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2005-08-28 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 11:23:25AM -0600, James Falknor wrote:
> 1. Would it be worth continuing to bid on?

It's definitely a collectors item.

> 2. What should my highest bid be?

No idea :)

> 3. Would TUHS be interested in the tape if I should win it? I don't have
> a tape machine or computer for such tape.

We've already extracted the contents from similar tapes, so probably no.

Hope this helps,
	Warren

* [TUHS] Original 9 track tape of Unix 7th edition from Bell Laboratories.
@ 2005-08-29  2:09 ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2005-08-29  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, 28 August 2005 at 11:23:25 -0600, James Falknor wrote:
> To all concerned,
>    I discovered this little gem up for auction on E-Bay.
>    One of the stickers state that it is Seventh Edition from Bell Labs
>    I have placed a small bid on it ($5.00 US).

That's your maximum, right?   I see $2.25.

> Advice required:
> 1. Would it be worth continuing to bid on?

Possibly.  It's a pity it's not confirmed to be readable.  In any
case, the rule for eBay bidding is to wait until the very last minute
(literally a minute or two before the auction closes) and to know what
your maximum bid is.  Specify it and you'll only pay enough to outbid
anybody else (if possible).

> 2. What should my highest bid be?

I'd be inclined to go to about $20 or so, but that's my feeling.

> 3. Would TUHS be interested in the tape if I should win it? I don't
> have a tape machine or computer for such tape.

I'm surprised that Warren said no here.  It's possible that some of
the code might be different; it would certainly be worth comparing.

Greg
* [TUHS] Original 9 track tape of Unix 7th edition from Bell Laboratories.
@ 2005-08-29  2:46   ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2005-08-29  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 11:39:43AM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> > 3. Would TUHS be interested in the tape if I should win it? I don't
> > have a tape machine or computer for such tape.
>
> I'm surprised that Warren said no here.  It's possible that some of
> the code might be different; it would certainly be worth comparing.

You are right, I shouldn't be so dismissve. I didn't want James to bid
big $$$ for a tape if it was just to send to the TUHS :)

Greg's suggestion of possibly different versions is worth considering.
Let us know if you happen to win the auction!

	Warren

* [TUHS] Original 9 track tape of Unix 7th edition from Bell  Laboratories.
@ 2005-08-29  9:49     ` Tim Shoppa
From: Tim Shoppa @ 2005-08-29  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It's possible that some of the code might be different; it would
> certainly be worth comparing.

Bell Labs was pretty good about labeling tapes shipping out the door
to customers, and I'm guessing this tape falls under this category.
In this case, the printed label would uniquely identify the contents
of the tape.

If this was internal from Bell Labs or a modified 7th edition tape
made by a licensee (it happens, especially for odd device support) then
it might not be what's already been imaged.

Tim.