The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] papers on the -mm macros?
@ 2006-03-09  3:15 A. Wik
From: A. Wik @ 2006-03-09  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I've found the documentation for most of the major
troff preprocessors and macros packages, but I can't
seem to find anything but occasional references to a
paper on the "Programmer's Memorandum Macros" (troff -mm)
by Smith and Mashey.

I'm hoping some of you may have better insight into
the matter...

-aw

* [TUHS] papers on the -mm macros?
@ 2006-03-11 14:25 ` Gunnar Ritter
From: Gunnar Ritter @ 2006-03-11 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

"A. Wik" <aw at aw.gs> wrote:

> I've found the documentation for most of the major
> troff preprocessors and macros packages, but I can't
> seem to find anything but occasional references to a
> paper on the "Programmer's Memorandum Macros" (troff -mm)
> by Smith and Mashey.

The source code for this paper had been available as part
of the System III distribution under the old (unfree) SCO
license.

In case you had applied for that license, and you still
have an old PUPS archive CD at hand, you can find it in
Distributions/usdl/SysIII/sys3.tar.gz.

You will not be able to recover the original layout since
PostScript font metrics are quite different from CAT ones,
but Heirloom troff produces readable output at least.

	Gunnar

* [TUHS] papers on the -mm macros?
@ 2006-05-25 19:10 Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2006-05-25 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, so I'm wwwwwaaaaaaayyyyyyy behind on reading TUHS.

I just wanted to say that if you can find a copy of the third edition
of "Unix In A Nutshell" (NOT the current fourth edition) you'll find
a chapter on the MM macros. It should be enough to make use of them,
as I did buy one of the SysIII licenses and I have a copy of this paper
that I referred to when writing that chapter.

And groff did do a good enough job formatting it that I was able
to print it out and it looked reasonable if not perfect. (Of course,
that was circa 1999...)

If I ever Get A Round Tuit I want to take the troff material from that
edition and do it as an ebook for O'Reilly. But I don't know when or
even if that'll ever happen.

Arnold