The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Bob's emulator and ultrix
@ 2006-04-19  0:46 Warren Toomey
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2006-04-19  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

     [ Please reply to Bill if you can, I don't know if he's on the list ]

----- Forwarded message from Bill Cunningham <billcu1 at verizon.net> -----

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 20:32:27 -0400
From: "Bill Cunningham" <billcu1@verizon.net>
Subject: Bob's emulator and ultrix
To: <wkt at tuhs.org>

I can't get the sim 2.3d to boot ultrix 3.1 or xenix or anyother boot tapes
in the uhs's archive. I have compiled the pdp11 emulator with gcc-3.4.6. I
am also interested in the OS Tim Berners-Lee used to write his first
browser. VMS on a VAX machine I have read. Is there anything like this in
the archive? A VAX emulator and VMS OS?

Bill
----- End forwarded message -----

* [TUHS] Bob's emulator and ultrix
@ 2006-04-19  1:42 ` Charlie ROOT
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Charlie ROOT @ 2006-04-19  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Warren Toomey wrote:

>      [ Please reply to Bill if you can, I don't know if he's on the list ]
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Bill Cunningham <billcu1 at verizon.net> -----
>
> Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 20:32:27 -0400
> From: "Bill Cunningham" <billcu1 at verizon.net>
> Subject: Bob's emulator and ultrix
> To: <wkt at tuhs.org>
>
> I can't get the sim 2.3d to boot ultrix 3.1 or xenix or anyother boot tapes
> in the uhs's archive. I have compiled the pdp11 emulator with gcc-3.4.6. I
> am also interested in the OS Tim Berners-Lee used to write his first
> browser. VMS on a VAX machine I have read. Is there anything like this in
> the archive? A VAX emulator and VMS OS?

I've heard of a free VAX emulator called SIMH/vax, and a commercial
one named Charon-VAX (or something), but I've tested neither.  If you're
adventurous enough, you might consider real VAX hardware: the VAXstation
3100 and 4000 series models can be had at reasonable cost, and are not
larger than a desktop PC.  As for VMS, at least the recent 7.x versions
are available more or less freely for hobbyist use.

By the way, are there releases of Xenix that run on PDP-hardware?
I've only ever heard of PC (8086+)-based ones.

-aw

* [pups] Bob's emulator and ultrix
@ 2006-04-19  4:10 ` Carl Lowenstein
From: Carl Lowenstein @ 2006-04-19  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/18/06, Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:
>      [ Please reply to Bill if you can, I don't know if he's on the list ]
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Bill Cunningham <billcu1 at verizon.net> -----
>
> Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 20:32:27 -0400
> From: "Bill Cunningham" <billcu1 at verizon.net>
> Subject: Bob's emulator and ultrix
> To: <wkt at tuhs.org>
>
> I can't get the sim 2.3d to boot ultrix 3.1 or xenix or anyother boot tapes
> in the uhs's archive. I have compiled the pdp11 emulator with gcc-3.4.6. I
> am also interested in the OS Tim Berners-Lee used to write his first
> browser. VMS on a VAX machine I have read. Is there anything like this in
> the archive? A VAX emulator and VMS OS?

Tim Berners-Lee developed what became the WWW, server and browser, on
a NeXT computer running the NeXTstep OS.  There is not a whole lot of
public knowledge about the internals of the NeXT hardware, which makes
it difficult to write an emulator for it.

There is a slowly progressing effort to port NetBSD to NeXT hardware.
Also, the last few releases of NeXTstep and OpenStep would run either
on NeXT hardware or selected x86 hardware.  Somewhere there is a
writeup covering the subject of running OpenStep on the VMware virtual
machine.

None of this is VAX, nor is it any other hardware covered by SimH.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenst at ucsd.edu

* [pups] [TUHS] Bob's emulator and ultrix
@ 2006-04-19  5:56   ` Toby Thain
From: Toby Thain @ 2006-04-19  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-Apr-06, at 9:42 PM, Charlie ROOT wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Warren Toomey wrote:
>
>>      [ Please reply to Bill if you can, I don't know if he's on
>> the list ]
>>
>> ----- Forwarded message from Bill Cunningham <billcu1 at verizon.net>
>> -----
>>
>> Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 20:32:27 -0400
>> From: "Bill Cunningham" <billcu1 at verizon.net>
>> Subject: Bob's emulator and ultrix
>> To: <wkt at tuhs.org>
>>
>> I can't get the sim 2.3d to boot ultrix 3.1 or xenix or anyother
>> boot tapes
>> in the uhs's archive. I have compiled the pdp11 emulator with
>> gcc-3.4.6. I
>> am also interested in the OS Tim Berners-Lee used to write his first
>> browser. VMS on a VAX machine I have read. Is there anything like
>> this in
>> the archive? A VAX emulator and VMS OS?
>
> I've heard of a free VAX emulator called SIMH/vax, and a commercial
> one named Charon-VAX (or something), but I've tested neither.  If
> you're
> adventurous enough, you might consider real VAX hardware: the
> VAXstation
> 3100 and 4000 series models can be had at reasonable cost, and are not
> larger than a desktop PC.  As for VMS, at least the recent 7.x
> versions
> are available more or less freely for hobbyist use.
>
> By the way, are there releases of Xenix that run on PDP-hardware?
> I've only ever heard of PC (8086+)-based ones.

There were. On 23 March 2002 Martin Crehan started a thread on this
list, including a cite to this Slashdot posting: http://slashdot.org/
comments.pl?sid=29920&cid=3213453

I would link to the thread, but the search seems broken (http://
minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/pups.cgi).

Apart from the PDP-11 version mentioned there, I am also aware of the
Lisa XENIX port (68K).

--T

> -aw

* [TUHS] [pups]  Bob's emulator and ultrix
@ 2006-04-19  6:07   ` Ian King
From: Ian King @ 2006-04-19  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [pups] Bob's emulator and ultrix
@ 2006-04-19 11:45   ` Christopher McNabb
From: Christopher McNabb @ 2006-04-19 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 01:42 +0000, Charlie ROOT wrote:
> By the way, are there releases of Xenix that run on PDP-hardware?
> I've only ever heard of PC (8086+)-based ones.

In my memory, it seems that Xenix was originally done for the Motorola
68000 then ported to the Intel x86 architecture.  The first real "Unix"
I ever ran, by the way, was Microsoft Xenix on a Motorola 68000 based
Tandy 6000.  I do not believe that Xenix *ever* ran on PDP based
hardware.

* [pups] Bob's emulator and ultrix
@ 2006-04-19 14:36     ` Bill Gunshannon
From: Bill Gunshannon @ 2006-04-19 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 01:42 +0000, Charlie ROOT wrote:
>> By the way, are there releases of Xenix that run on PDP-hardware?
>> I've only ever heard of PC (8086+)-based ones.
>
> In my memory, it seems that Xenix was originally done for the Motorola
> 68000 then ported to the Intel x86 architecture.  The first real "Unix"
> I ever ran, by the way, was Microsoft Xenix on a Motorola 68000 based
> Tandy 6000.  I do not believe that Xenix *ever* ran on PDP based
> hardware.

My 1985 PDP11 Software Sourcebook lists XENIX for the PDP11 as
being available from SCO.  It also lists Venix as available for
other than just the Pro.

bill

bill at cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |

* [pups] Bob's emulator and ultrix
@ 2006-04-19 22:36 ` Tore S Bekkedal
From: Tore S Bekkedal @ 2006-04-19 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 10:46 +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
>      [ Please reply to Bill if you can, I don't know if he's on the list ]
> ----- Forwarded message from Bill Cunningham <billcu1 at verizon.net> -----
> am also interested in the OS Tim Berners-Lee used to write his first
> browser.
You mean SINTRAN III/VSX?

* [pups] Bob's emulator and ultrix
@ 2006-04-19 23:05   ` Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2006-04-19 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You mean SINTRAN III/VSX?

    Is there quite a disagreement in what the first browser was?

Bill

* [pups] Bob's emulator and ultrix
@ 2006-04-21  3:37     ` Kelli Halliburton
From: Kelli Halliburton @ 2006-04-21  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 06:05 pm, Bill Cunningham wrote:
> > You mean SINTRAN III/VSX?
>
>     Is there quite a disagreement in what the first browser was?

Well, there seems to be some issue with ENQUIRE, Tim Berners-Lee's first foray
into hypertext, but considering that that program may not have used a
protocol named HTTP, a markup language named HTML, nor a spatial metaphor
called the World Wide Web, it may not count.

The first time, AFAIK, that the terms we now know came together was in the
browser built for NextStep.

* [pups] Bob's emulator and ultrix
@ 2006-04-21  7:43       ` Tim Bradshaw
From: Tim Bradshaw @ 2006-04-21  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 Apr 2006, at 04:37, Kelli Halliburton wrote:

> Well, there seems to be some issue with ENQUIRE, Tim Berners-Lee's
> first foray
> into hypertext, but considering that that program may not have used a
> protocol named HTTP, a markup language named HTML, nor a spatial
> metaphor
> called the World Wide Web, it may not count.

I think if you're going to count ENQUIRE you ought to count some of
the other earlier hypertext systems.

--tim