The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] [Fwd: Re:  [TUHS] Bob's emulator and ultrix]
@ 2006-04-19 14:34 Bill Gunshannon
From: Bill Gunshannon @ 2006-04-19 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> By the way, are there releases of Xenix that run on PDP-hardware?
> I've only ever heard of PC (8086+)-based ones.

I believe there was a version of Xenix for the PDP-11 but Xenix is
based on SYSIII which I understand is not covered by the ancient Unix
license.  Of course, if it is, I would love a copy of SYSIII.  :-)

bill

bill at cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |

@ 2006-04-19 15:13 ` Michael Davidson
From: Michael Davidson @ 2006-04-19 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Gunshannon wrote:

>>By the way, are there releases of Xenix that run on PDP-hardware?
>>I've only ever heard of PC (8086+)-based ones.
>>

>I believe there was a version of Xenix for the PDP-11 but Xenix is
>based on SYSIII which I understand is not covered by the ancient Unix
>license.  Of course, if it is, I would love a copy of SYSIII.  :-)

XENIX for the PDP-11 was available in the UK from the Software Products
Group
of Logica (which in late 1986 was acquired by the Santa Cruz Operation
and became
their UK and European office).

As far as I know it was entirely based on V7 - other than adding a few
device drivers
and configuring the system to match the customer's hardware I don't
think that either
Microsoft or Logica really did much to the PDP-11 version. I used XENIX on a
PDP11/34 back in (I think) 1982 and most of the work was in finding a kernel
configuration which both had all of the drivers that we needed and would
fit on a
non split i&d machinne.

I don't believe that any System III code showed up in XENIX until
sometime later
in the Motorola 68k and Intel x86 versions.

Michael Davidson

* [pups] [Fwd: Re:  [TUHS] Bob's emulator and ultrix]
@ 2006-04-19 14:33 Bill Gunshannon
From: Bill Gunshannon @ 2006-04-19 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> By the way, are there releases of Xenix that run on PDP-hardware?
>> I've only ever heard of PC (8086+)-based ones.
>
> There were. On 23 March 2002 Martin Crehan started a thread on this
> list, including a cite to this Slashdot posting: http://slashdot.org/
> comments.pl?sid=29920&cid=3213453
>
> I would link to the thread, but the search seems broken (http://
> minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/pups.cgi).
>
> Apart from the PDP-11 version mentioned there, I am also aware of the
> Lisa XENIX port (68K).

And also a8K version for the Tandy 16/6000 series.  I still have
it, but don't use it anymore.  It probably wouldn't even boot at
this point.