The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [Unix-jun72] svn changes?
@ 2008-05-01 12:35 Hellwig Geisse
From: Hellwig Geisse @ 2008-05-01 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anything changed regarding read access
to the svn repository? My client answered

svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/trunk'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/trunk': 502 Bad Gateway
(http://unix-jun72.googlecode.com)

when I wanted to do a regular 'svn update'
command.

Hellwig

* [Unix-jun72] svn changes?
@ 2008-05-01 12:54 ` Brad Parker
From: Brad Parker @ 2008-05-01 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hellwig Geisse wrote:
>Has anything changed regarding read access
>to the svn repository? My client answered
>
>svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/trunk'
>svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/trunk': 502 Bad Gateway
>(http://unix-jun72.googlecode.com)
>
>when I wanted to do a regular 'svn update'
>command.

I found the same thing.  I assumed it was a transient
error from google.

It seems to have cleared now.

-brad

* [Unix-jun72] svn changes?
@ 2008-05-01 13:04   ` Brad Parker
From: Brad Parker @ 2008-05-01 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just for fun I took the latest svn, assembled it with the v7 as
and ran it through my "a.out -> simh load file" converter.

It runs until it hits the first instruction which touches a KE11A EAE
register.  That fails and it panics (takes an exception since there's
nothing there on the unibus)

Via email I asked Tim about EAE support in simh, since apout has it and
the code claims he added it to simh, but I can't find it.

I could try e11, but I'd prefer to use simh.

-brad

* [Unix-jun72] svn changes?
@ 2008-05-01 13:32   ` Hellwig Geisse
From: Hellwig Geisse @ 2008-05-01 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 08:54 -0400, Brad Parker wrote:
> I found the same thing.  I assumed it was a transient
> error from google.
>
> It seems to have cleared now.

Yes, it was transient; all is well again.
Thanks for the info.

Hellwig

* [Unix-jun72] svn changes?
@ 2008-05-01 14:25     ` Hellwig Geisse
From: Hellwig Geisse @ 2008-05-01 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 09:04 -0400, Brad Parker wrote:
> Via email I asked Tim about EAE support in simh, since apout has it and
> the code claims he added it to simh, but I can't find it.

Wasn't this called the "EIS" option? If I remember
well, simh enabled that by default if you choose the
CPU to be an 11/40.

Hellwig

* [Unix-jun72] svn changes?
@ 2008-05-01 14:41       ` Brad Parker
From: Brad Parker @ 2008-05-01 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hellwig Geisse wrote:
>On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 09:04 -0400, Brad Parker wrote:
>> Via email I asked Tim about EAE support in simh, since apout has it and
>> the code claims he added it to simh, but I can't find it.
>
>Wasn't this called the "EIS" option? If I remember
>well, simh enabled that by default if you choose the
>CPU to be an 11/40.

I think EIS is similar in function but not the same.

We need the KE11A, which maps some registers into the unibus space.  It
performs some of the same functions as EIS, but in a different way - it
does not extend the instruction space like EIS does.

I may be wrong, but that is my understanding.  EIS is supported, as is
the FP instructions and CIS, but I can't find any code which pretends to
be a KE11A in simh.  It's definitely in apout.

-brad

* [Unix-jun72] svn changes?
@ 2008-05-01 15:31       ` Milo Velimirovic
From: Milo Velimirovic @ 2008-05-01 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 1, 2008, at 9:25 AM, Hellwig Geisse wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 09:04 -0400, Brad Parker wrote:
>> Via email I asked Tim about EAE support in simh, since apout has it
>> and
>> the code claims he added it to simh, but I can't find it.
>
> Wasn't this called the "EIS" option? If I remember
> well, simh enabled that by default if you choose the
> CPU to be an 11/40.

No... EIS is not the same as EAE, though simh does include EIS in its
11/40 configuration.

 From memory:

EAE is the "Extended Arithmetic Element" which provided multiply,
divide and shift capabilities through registers in the I/O space.
See Dennis Ritchie's "Odd Comments and Strange Doings in Unix" the
pertinent item is "A hardware story" at the the end of the document,
cached here: <http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:Cp9qctiIuLcJ:www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/odd.html+dmr+eae&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us
 > (It seems the link provided by Google to dmr's website is down...)

EIS is the Extended Instruction Set, which on the pdp11/40 (and lsi11)
went hand in hand with FIS, the Floating Instruction Set.

See a pdp11 processor handbook for all the details.

--
Milo Velimirović,  Unix Computer Network Administrator
608.785.6618 Office -  608.386.2817 Cell

* [Unix-jun72] svn changes?
@ 2008-05-01 15:56         ` Hellwig Geisse
From: Hellwig Geisse @ 2008-05-01 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 10:31 -0500, Milo Velimirovic wrote:
> See a pdp11 processor handbook for all the details.

I have an 11/40 processor handbook available,
so I have good documentation of the EIS option.
What I'm lacking is equally good information
on the EAE...

Do you have a link?

Hellwig

* [Unix-jun72] svn changes?
@ 2008-05-01 16:57           ` Al Kossow
From: Al Kossow @ 2008-05-01 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hellwig Geisse wrote:
> What I'm lacking is equally good information
> on the EAE...

EAE was a unibus option. I'll see if I have anything scanned on it.