The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [Unix-jun72] Change to mail list behaviour
@ 2008-05-03 12:46 Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2008-05-03 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

After e-mailing a reply about 6 times today and it going to the original
poster, instead of the mailing list where I wanted it to go, I have
decided to change the behaviour of the unix-jun72 at tuhs.org list. Replies
will now go back to the list, not the poster.

It's an arbitrary decision; if you disklike it, let me know. If most
of you prefer it the other way, I'll switch it back!

Good night,
	Warren

* [Unix-jun72] Change to mail list behaviour
@ 2008-05-03 18:43 ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2008-05-03 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren Toomey scripsit:

> After e-mailing a reply about 6 times today and it going to the original
> poster, instead of the mailing list where I wanted it to go, I have
> decided to change the behaviour of the unix-jun72 at tuhs.org list. Replies
> will now go back to the list, not the poster.

Arrgh!  Kill!  Kill!  Kill!!

http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html

--
Is not a patron, my Lord [Chesterfield],        John Cowan
one who looks with unconcern on a man           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
struggling for life in the water, and when      cowan at ccil.org
he has reached ground encumbers him with help?
        --Samuel Johnson

* [Unix-jun72] Change to mail list behaviour
@ 2008-05-03 18:52   ` M. Warner Losh
From: M. Warner Losh @ 2008-05-03 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message: <20080503184315.GG28208 at mercury.ccil.org>
            John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org> writes:
: Warren Toomey scripsit:
:
: > After e-mailing a reply about 6 times today and it going to the original
: > poster, instead of the mailing list where I wanted it to go, I have
: > decided to change the behaviour of the unix-jun72 at tuhs.org list. Replies
: > will now go back to the list, not the poster.
:
: Arrgh!  Kill!  Kill!  Kill!!
:
: http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
: http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html

I respectfully disagree.

Religious jihads are like that.

Warner

* [Unix-jun72] Change to mail list behaviour
@ 2008-05-04 12:47     ` Brad Parker
From: Brad Parker @ 2008-05-04 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

>: http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>: http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html
>
>I respectfully disagree.
>
>Religious jihads are like that.

I don't think this is a religious issue.  Please read those pages
carefully.  It's about normal human behavior and expectations.

I can't tell you how many times I've made the same mistakes
listed in those pages.  Many times.  Always wit embarrassment.

My mailer has reply and reply-all and I use them consciously every day.

with the new setting I hit reply-all and I generate 2 copies to the
list...  so this list becomes unlike all the others I am on.

You may still disagree, but I think there is some sound logic
behind the idea.

-brad

* [Unix-jun72] Change to mail list behaviour
@ 2008-05-04 23:09   ` Cyrille Lefevre
From: Cyrille Lefevre @ 2008-05-04 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Cowan a écrit :
> Warren Toomey scripsit:
>
>> After e-mailing a reply about 6 times today and it going to the original
>> poster, instead of the mailing list where I wanted it to go, I have
>> decided to change the behaviour of the unix-jun72 at tuhs.org list. Replies
>> will now go back to the list, not the poster.
>
> Arrgh!  Kill!  Kill!  Kill!!

> http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html

you forgot this one :)

titled "Reply-To Munging Considered Useful"

http://www.metasystema.net/essays/reply-to.mhtml

Regards,

Cyrille Lefevre
mailto:Cyrille.Lefevre-lists at laposte.net