The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Other history lists...
@ 2017-12-11  6:13 Grant Taylor
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Grant Taylor @ 2017-12-11  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know of any other similar history discussion mailing lists /
newsgroups to discuss things like Mainframes or (Open)VMS?

I have some questions as I try to broaden my horizons, but I don't think
they fit in the TUHS context.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

it gets a lot of random chatter. I find SNR goes down quickly
where personal computers are included in lists/forums although that may be
my own interests reflecting.

On Sunday, December 10, 2017, Grant Taylor via TUHS <tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org>
wrote:

> Does anyone know of any other similar history discussion mailing lists /
> newsgroups to discuss things like Mainframes or (Open)VMS?
>
> I have some questions as I try to broaden my horizons, but I don't think
> they fit in the TUHS context.
>

> --
> Grant. . . .
> unix || die

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Other history lists...
@ 2017-12-13 11:32 ` Michael-John Turner
From: Michael-John Turner @ 2017-12-13 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 11:13:42PM -0700, Grant Taylor via TUHS wrote:
>Does anyone know of any other similar history discussion mailing lists
>/ newsgroups to discuss things like Mainframes or (Open)VMS?

Two I quite like are the Geeks and Rescue lists:
Some folks there have mainframes, Crays, etc.

There's also Info-VAX, the comp.os.vms to email gateway:

Cheers, MJ
--
Michael-John Turner * mj at mjturner.net * http://mjturner.net/

* [TUHS] Other history lists...
@ 2017-12-13 19:27 ` Michael Kjörling
From: Michael Kjörling @ 2017-12-13 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 Dec 2017 23:13 -0700, from tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org (Grant Taylor via TUHS):
> Does anyone know of any other similar history discussion mailing
> lists / newsgroups to discuss things like Mainframes or (Open)VMS?

Not a mailing list, but have you considered the Retrocomputing Stack
Exchange?

https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/

Many of the questions there currently relate primarily to personal
computers and consoles, but I see no reason why questions about e.g.
historical mainframes would not be welcome.

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael at kjorling.se

* [TUHS] Other history lists...
@ 2017-12-13 19:44   ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2017-12-13 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Kjörling wrote:
> https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/
>
> Many of the questions there currently relate primarily to personal
> computers and consoles, but I see no reason why questions about e.g.
> historical mainframes would not be welcome.

I brought that up during the proposal stage, and I gather the response
was positive:

https://area51.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/22734/what-about-biggish-iron

Now there seems to be a handful of questions about minis and mainframes.
And, on topic!, Unix.

* [TUHS] Other history lists...
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-12-13 19:45 ` Grant Taylor
From: Grant Taylor @ 2017-12-13 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/10/2017 11:13 PM, Grant Taylor via TUHS wrote:
> Does anyone know of any other similar history discussion mailing lists /
> newsgroups to discuss things like Mainframes or (Open)VMS?

Thank you everyone for all of the intriguing pointers.  :-)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die