The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] decoding 1972_stuff/s1-bits
@ 2010-06-10  1:30 Random832
From: Random832 @ 2010-06-10  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm sorry if this has been done before, but I could find no indication
this was the case in the unix archive itself or in any of the months I
checked in the mailing list.

I have figured out what the first 50176 bytes of s1-bits are.

It is an "INIT Tape" as described in Dennis_v1 Boot Procedures(VII) and
Dennis_v3 bproc.8. It is apparently contemporary with s2 [all of the
files on it /etc/getty /bin/ls and so on match up exactly with their
counterparts on s2], and this would seem to make s2 the "/bin-/etc-/lib
tape" described in bproc.8.

Also - is there any other known copy of the "bos" bootloader? I'm
partway through hand-disassembling the one on the tape.

Anyone know how to get SIMH to send ^J for return?

Anyway - with the KE-11A enabled you need to use "d system sr" to set
the switch register [which must be set to 1 to cold boot, 73700 to come
up in single user mode, and any random value other than the special ones
0 57500 10 20 40 1 2 to come up normally]

The RF disk is not even large enough to contain the whole s2 tape, and
while even v1 supported mountable filesystems, there is no mkfs or mount
on the tapes.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2010-06-10  1:30 UTC | newest]