The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Mary Ann Horton <mah@mhorton.net>
To: tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org
Subject: Re: [TUHS] UNIX: A History and a Memoir by Brian W. Kernighan is now out
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 16:01:02 -0700	[thread overview]

That's similar but different in a couple of important ways. And it's not
G.R. Emlin's, that's what reminded me of it.

Here is the badge story as I heard it.

Two MTS at Murray Hill were discussing their badges. It was routine to
walk into the building, show the guard your badge, and keep walking.

One guy said "They never look at those things!  I'll bet I could paste a
picture of a monkey on my badge, and he'd never notice it!". The other
guy said "You're on!".

So the first guy pastes a monkey picture on his badge. The second guy
tips off the guard, and watches from inside the building.

The first guy comes into the building and flashes his monkey badge to
the guard. No reaction, so he keeps on walking. A few second later, the
guard calls after him. "Hey, come back here! Let me see your badge." The
guy knows he's in trouble, but he comes back and hands the guard his badge.

The guard looks at the badge. He looks at the employee. He looks at the
badge. He looks at the employee. He looks at the badge.

Handing the badge back to the employee, he says "OK, you can go!"