The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Adam Thornton <athornton@gmail.com>
To: Rob Pike <robpike@gmail.com>
Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society <tuhs@tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] v7 uucp debugging help requested
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2020 16:42:40 -0700	[thread overview]

> On Jul 7, 2020, at 3:47 PM, Rob Pike <robpike@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The thing about ed that is missed by johnny-come-latelys who mock it for its lowness is that it was so much higher than most, if not all the commercially available text editors of its time. The gold standard was perhaps Son of Stopgap, whose very name tells you the state of things.
>
> I remember spending a couple of days baking inside a radio telescope control cabin implementing a miniature version of ed in forth just so I work more effectively on the task to come.

As the person who kicked off this last round of editor wars by saying I wanted “s” on my v7 system to make it into a daily driver: sure, ed’s not terrible.  I can, and have, used it, although in most places where I *would* use it, I also have sed available, and using sed and then comparing the output and the input is just as fast for me and carries less risk of hosing my input file.

As line editors go it’s just fine and indeed rather easier than TECO or EDLIN, which are the other two I’ve used from time to time.  Oh.  And CMS EDIT which it is about on a par with.

But I still find it much less pleasant to use than a moderately-OK screen editor, which “s” certainly is.  Largely that’s because I don’t think before I type anymore, and I hit keys fast and sometimes inaccurately, because the last 35 years have taught me that I can always go back and fix it up.

Now that I have working editing-for-the-sloppy and a way that I can reliably transfer files to and from v7, really all I need to do is mess with the terminal driver so that ^? isn’t immediately-cancel-line, because that too is a finger habit too hard for me to break.

Adam