The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Missing Documents for use with the Unix Time-Sharing System, Sixth Edition
@ 2016-01-23 17:58 Will Senn
       [not found] ` <CAC20D2OfONSUkeVX_ZorvcUzOydGSHOJmS7oqPRChsHtgHOD+g@mail.gmail.com>
From: Will Senn @ 2016-01-23 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

The Unix Sixth edition programmer's manual and other documents for use
with Unix time-sharing system are available online, in html and
postscript form from Wolfgang Helbig's site:

http://wwwlehre.dhbw-stuttgart.de/~helbig/os/v6/doc/index.html

There are papers some missing from the "Documents for use with the Unix
Time-Sharing System":
RATFOR - A Preprocessor for Rational Fortran
NROFF User's Manual
A Manual for Tmg Compiler-writing Language
On the Security of UNIX
The M6 Macro Processor
A System for Typesetting Mathematics
DC - An Interactive Desk Calculator
BC - An Arbitrary Precision Desk-Calculator Language
The Portable C Library (on UNIX)
UNIX Summary

Some of these are more interesting to me than others, but I tend towards
shiny objects, so there is no telling when they will be of critical
interest in the future. I have done quite a bit of searching for the
NROFF document and the portable C library document and while I have
found related works, I haven't come across the originals for sixth
edition. Do any of y'all know where any or all of these documents are
archived in their original/reproduced form?

Regards,

Will

* [TUHS] Fwd: Missing Documents for use with the Unix Time-Sharing System, Sixth Edition
       [not found] ` <CAC20D2OfONSUkeVX_ZorvcUzOydGSHOJmS7oqPRChsHtgHOD+g@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2016-01-23 20:00   ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2016-01-23 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Will Senn @ 2016-01-23 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/23/16 2:00 PM, Clem Cole wrote:

> [...]
Thanks for the reply. The nroff source for a lot of these is indeed on
the distribution tape. So... my followup question is how can I convert
it to pdf or ps?

In v6:
# cd /usr/doc/iolib
# nroff iolib
The Portable C Library (on UNIX) * M. E. Lesk 1. INTRODUCTION The
C langlage [1] now exists on three operating systems.  * This do-
clment is an abbreviated form of ``The Portable C  Library'',  by
M.  E.  Lesk, describing only the UNIX section of the library.  A
pected  to make any sense of it on retlrn.  The first arglment is

Mangled. But when I took the source and copied it onto my mac and did this:
groff -t iolib
ps2pdf iolib.ps
open iolib.pdf

The result was ok and is attached, but the format is ugly. Here is the
first bit of source. Is it roff/nroff? and is my approach to conversion
reasonable?

.ds s \\s8
.ds S \\s0
.ds * \v'.2m'*\v'-.2m'
.tr ~.
.ds . \s14~\s0
.tr _\(ul
.de sn
.sp
.ft I
.ne 2
..
.de sN
.sp .5
.ft R
..
.TL
The Portable C Library (on \s-2UNIX\s0) *
.AU
M. E. Lesk
.AI
.MH
.SH
1. INTRODUCTION
.PP
The C language [1] now exists on three operating systems.
.FS
* This document is an abbreviated form of
``The Portable C Library'', by M. E. Lesk, describing only
the UNIX section of the library.
.FE
A set of library routines common to

Thanks,

@ 2016-01-23 21:23       ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2016-01-23 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Looks like -ms macros - which make sense because Mike Lesk wrote them.

groff -Tps -ms iolib > iolib.ps
ps2pdf iolib

@ 2016-01-23 21:28         ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2016-01-23 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

If that fails, go into your v6 file system and look in /usr/lib/tmac and
find the old macros.
Bring them back your mac and you can do:  groff -Tps XXXoldmacrosXXX iolib>
iolib.ps

Clem

@ 2016-01-23 22:21         ` Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2016-01-23 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/23/16 3:23 PM, Clem Cole wrote:
> Looks like -ms macros - which make sense because Mike Lesk wrote them.
>
> groff -Tps -ms iolib > iolib.ps <http://iolib.ps>
> ps2pdf iolib

Uhmazing :). Worked like a charm.

Thanks,