The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Re;  Mach for i486 / Mt Xinu or other
@ 2017-02-21 20:25 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2017-02-21 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 2)      **Most** Operating systems do not support /dev/* based access to SCSI.
>         This includes a POSIX certified system like Mac OS X.
>
> 3)      **Most** Operating systems do not even support a file descriptor based
>         interface to SCSI commands.
>         This includes a POSIX certified system like Mac OS X.

Had Ken thought that way, Unix's universal byte-addressable file format
would never have happened; this mailing list would not exist; and we
all might still be fluent in dialects of JCL. dd was sufficient glue
to bridge the gap between Unix and **Most** Operating Systems.
Meanwhile everyday use of Unix was freed from the majority's folly.

Doug

* [TUHS] Re;  Mach for i486 / Mt Xinu or other
@ 2017-02-21 23:44 ` Joerg Schilling
From: Joerg Schilling @ 2017-02-21 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)