The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS]  re: ATT 3b2
@ 2006-02-21  4:16 dmr
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: dmr @ 2006-02-21  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > I'm interested in acquring an AT&T 3b2 computer.  One of these systems
 > used to run a famous public UNIX system "killer".  They also run #5ess
 > telephone switches, however the OS is different in that case
 > (DMERT/UNIX-RTR instead of whatever the consumer-level 3b2 runs).

 > If anyone has information on where to acquire these (I saw the recent
 > discussion on 3b1s and I know they are more prolific than 3b2s-- infact
 > a friend of mine used to have a UNIX PC which we set up a BBS on).

The 3B2 was not the same machine as the one in 5ESS, which
was/is the 3B20D, a fairly large duplexed machine (two processors
that mutually checked each other).  The 3B2 was a desktop.
The 3B20D wasn't sold commercially, as far as I know.  There
was a 3B20S (multi-cabinet) that at least nominally
was commercially available.

Their ISAs were not quite the same, but some assembler language
tricks made the assembler-level languages look quite similar.

	Dennis

* [TUHS] ATT 3b2
@ 2006-02-20 17:43 Stuart, Jon
From: Stuart, Jon @ 2006-02-20 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm interested in acquring an AT&T 3b2 computer.  One of these systems
used to run a famous public UNIX system "killer".  They also run #5ess
telephone switches, however the OS is different in that case
(DMERT/UNIX-RTR instead of whatever the consumer-level 3b2 runs).

If anyone has information on where to acquire these (I saw the recent
discussion on 3b1s and I know they are more prolific than 3b2s-- infact
a friend of mine used to have a UNIX PC which we set up a BBS on).

Thanks.

Jonathan Stuart, CISSP   /"\  ASCII Ribbon
Software Engineer        \ /    Campaign
Pegasus Solutions, Inc.   X   against HTML
                         / \  email & vCards