The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Re: Jerq menuhit/mhit
@ 2023-07-02 15:14 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2023-07-02 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

I had an experience similar to Tom London's:

	To: alice!rob
	Subject: you've spoiled me

	I can't believe it.  I'm sitting here at home in front of my
	2621, and I can't work.

	Damn it.  I've got to get a blit at home.

When I left Bell Labs, I had an X11 workstation at work, but
only a simple terminal at home.  Having used a Jerqblit5620 for
years at both work and home, I found it incredibly limiting.

After a year or so I came across a reseller who had a lot of
off-lease 5620s for sale cheap (like USD 150 or so each).  I
asked around the university I now worked at, found a handful
of other people who wanted in, and then a local small company
who did System V system-administration consulting who wanted
some for themselves, and were willing to handle all the paperwork.
All that allowed us to negotiate the price down even more.

In the end I bought six, of which I think four are still working,
though I haven't turned any of them on for years.

None of the Unixes I used at the time came with 5620 support,
but the protocol for the basic window system built into the ROM
was well-documented and I managed to roll my own host support.
I also managed to cobble up my own binary-loading tools sufficient
to get sam working (I forget how I compiled the binary for the
terminal); that was rather more work, but it was worth it to
be able to have sam and multiple windows from home, even though
it was the ROM OS and therefore mpx rather than mux.

I remember porting my version of the host code to Ultrix,
SunOS 4, and IRIX.

My workplace at the time had a little bit of VAX/VMS around.
I didn't use that much but wanted to try porting my host code
to VMS as well.  VMS had had a C compiler for some years and
some sort of pseudo-terminal for a shorter time, so it ought
to have been possible.  I didn't get around to it before we
finally left VMS behind in the dustbin of history.  I wish I'd
found time to do it, just to show that there really was nothing
Unix-specific about the idea or the implementation.  It's just
a multiplexing protocol; it needs no kernel support except that
needed to run a command-line session not attached to a physical
terminal, and networking has long since made that available on
any competent OS.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] Re: Jerq menuhit/mhit
@ 2023-07-02 14:27           ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2023-07-02 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs, dave, arnold

Good question. MGR was somewhat later. It was done by a guy at BellCore
if I remember correctly.  I used it some on a small sparcstation. On that
hardware it was super fast, whereas X11 was much slower. This would have
been in early-to-mid 90s.

Arnold

* [TUHS] Re: Jerq menuhit/mhit
@ 2023-07-02 14:13         ` Dave Brown
From: Dave Brown @ 2023-07-02 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold, tuhs

@ 2023-07-02  7:10       ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2023-07-02  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: web, robpike; +Cc: tuhs

@ 2023-06-30 22:14     ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2023-06-30 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Seth Morabito; +Cc: The Unix Heritage Society

[...]

From dmr Tue Apr  7 02:01 EST 1981 remote from research

Don't lose interest in the jerq terminal stuff, no matter what

momentary problems you have with the device or the system.

I think the approach and the progress so far are very exciting.

From wild!scj Sun Nov 21 09:52 EST 1982

Well, after an afternoon with the bilt, seeing asteroids, crabs, maxwell,

etc. etc, I asked Sarah what she liked best.

"I liked mpx best"

"What did you like about it?"

"I liked making all the different boxes, and making all the different things

happen in them, and making them go away."

I think "universal appeal" is not too strong a term...

From alice!vax135!tbl Sat May 14 12:07:42 1983

To: alice!rob

I can't believe it.  I'm sitting here at home in front of my

2621, and I can't work.

Damn it.  I've got to get a blit at home.

[Turner and I are really pleased with the software.  Good job!]

-rob

On Sat, Jul 1, 2023 at 1:35 AM Seth Morabito <web@loomcom.com> wrote:

> Speaking of the Jerq...
>
> Is there a definitive history anywhere of the progression from Jerq up
> through the AT&T 730MTG? When I wrote my DMD5620 emulator I tried to find a
> complete history, but wasn't able to. I just found various (possibly
> apocryphal) bits and pieces here and there about AT&T objecting to various
> names until "DMD" was settled on by marketing at some point, and forcing
> the use of a WE32K in the 5620 for make-corporate-happy reasons.
>
> -Seth
> --
>   Seth Morabito * Poulsbo, WA * https://loomcom.com/

[-- Attachment #2: IMG_4673.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 240604 bytes --]

* [TUHS] Re: Jerq menuhit/mhit
@ 2023-06-30 15:28   ` Seth Morabito
From: Seth Morabito @ 2023-06-30 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Unix Heritage Society

@ 2023-06-29 22:22 ` Andrew Hume
From: Andrew Hume @ 2023-06-29 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Hunt; +Cc: The Unix Heritage Society

i remember mhit well.

generally, most folks thought the user interface had gone wrong
if you needed to handle such large lists in a menu. so there was
a mild cultural prejudice against such things.

however, i needed it for a couple of projects, including circuit layout
software. you can imagine selecting chips from such a menu
and so on.