The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Old USENET Source Code available
@ 2004-09-26 10:09 Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2004-09-26 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings all.

A few weeks ago, in a fit of nostalgia, I decided to gather together
a personal copy of the various Usenet source groups as still available
at places like gatekeeper.dec.com and ftp.uu.net.  The result is
a collection of six newsgroups, net.sources, and then
comp.sources.{games,misc,x,unix,reviewed}.

I removed duplicates and fixed a few other archiving goofs as well.

The result is about 700M, uncompressed.  It just fits on one CD. :-)

I have made a tarball available, it's about 145M, if anyone wants it.
URLs:

	http://www.skeeve.com/Usenet.tar.bz2
	ftp://ftp.freefriends.org/arnold/upload/Usenet.tar.bz2

Only one compression format; the .gz file is almost 180M.

Enjoy,

Arnold

* [TUHS] Old USENET Source Code available
@ 2004-09-28 23:05 ` Kurt Wall
From: Kurt Wall @ 2004-09-28 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 12:09:10PM +0200, Aharon Robbins took 27 lines to write:
> Greetings all.
>
> A few weeks ago, in a fit of nostalgia, I decided to gather together
> a personal copy of the various Usenet source groups as still available
> at places like gatekeeper.dec.com and ftp.uu.net.  The result is
> a collection of six newsgroups, net.sources, and then
> comp.sources.{games,misc,x,unix,reviewed}.

Thanks for putting this together and making it available! There are
some real treasures buried in there.

Warmest regards,

Kurt
--
'I believe in getting into hot water; it keeps you clean."
	-- G. K. Chesterton

* [TUHS] Old USENET Source Code available
@ 2004-11-16 16:20 ` John Foust
From: John Foust @ 2004-11-16 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 04:09 AM 9/26/2004, Aharon Robbins wrote:
>A few weeks ago, in a fit of nostalgia, I decided to gather together
>a personal copy of the various Usenet source groups as still available
>at places like gatekeeper.dec.com and ftp.uu.net.  The result is
>a collection of six newsgroups, net.sources, and then
>comp.sources.{games,misc,x,unix,reviewed}.

Consider giving a copy to Google.  Back in August 2000 they were
looking for old Usenet news archive CDs such as those from Sterling
Software, pre-dating 1995.  At the time, I pointed a few leads to and
exchanged a few messages with Michael Schmitt <michael at google.com>.

This applies to anyone with old backup tapes of Usenet news, of course.

- John