The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] when did new awk first appear?
@ 2011-04-08  3:56 Brian S Walden
From: Brian S Walden @ 2011-04-08  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know for sure that in 1988's svr3.2 the "awk" command was the 1988 version
and the "oawk" command was the version from 1979.

In svr3.0 the "awk" command was the old and we'd get the new one
from Holmdel's unix tools distribution group (called USTOP) and
install it as "nawk"

I think you could get the new one in stock svr3.1 but cannot
remember it it was provide as "awk" or "nawk."

@ 2011-04-08  4:10 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2011-04-08  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

bwk tarred up his awk source and sent it to me.  I can paw through and see
what I can find.  Unless he objects.  I know dmr lurks here, does bwk?
--
---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com

* [TUHS] when did new awk first appear?
@ 2011-04-08  4:21   ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2011-04-08  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

The one-true-awk is in FreeBSD, so why would bwk object to your pawing through his tarball?  It is in FreeBSD's svn repo.

Warner

@ 2011-04-08  5:01   ` Deborah Scherrer
From: Deborah Scherrer @ 2011-04-08  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Kernighan wrote awk, not Dennis.

Debbie

@ 2011-04-08  5:06     ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2011-04-08  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Indeed.  I funded a lot of work based on awk and at some point I asked
bwk if we could see the original source.  He sent me ~bwk/awk as a
tarball.

The dmr reference is because I've never seen bwk here but dmr does
show up.

@ 2011-04-08  7:52     ` martin hardie
From: martin hardie @ 2011-04-08  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

not sure when it was exactly but very early
see p 46 http://auskadi.googlepages.com/nix1.pdf

On 8 April 2011 14:21, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> The one-true-awk is in FreeBSD, so why would bwk object to your pawing
> through his tarball?  It is in FreeBSD's svn repo.
>
> Warner
>

> On Apr 7, 2011, at 10:10 PM, Larry McVoy wrote:
>
> > bwk tarred up his awk source and sent it to me.  I can paw through and
> see
> > what I can find.  Unless he objects.  I know dmr lurks here, does bwk?
> > --
> > ---
> > Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com
> http://www.bitkeeper.com

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] when did new awk first appear?
@ 2011-04-08  9:02     ` Jaap Akkerhuis
From: Jaap Akkerhuis @ 2011-04-08  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 8, 2011, at 7:01, Deborah Scherrer wrote:

> Brian Kernighan wrote awk

Officially it was written by Aho Weinberger Kernighan but
I suspect Brian did most of the actual coding.

> Debbie
>
> On 4/7/2011 9:10 PM, Larry McVoy wrote:
>> bwk tarred up his awk source and sent it to me.

I suspect it was actually a shar ball. I received a version around 1987
when the book (See <http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/awkbook/>)
was still being written.

I don't know when it was officially distributed or in which distribution.

	jaap

* [TUHS] when did new awk first appear?
@ 2011-04-08 10:19     ` Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2011-04-08 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All.  Thanks for the responses.  BWK's awk is available from his home
page at Princeton, http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~bwk, click on the link
for the Bell Labs mirror and keep going.

The FreeBSD awk is based on BWK's, with a number of fixes / improvements,
but I don't know how frequently they sync with his version; the most
recent on BWK's home page is from May 2010.

I asked BWK when it was first released to the world but he doesn't
remember if it was SVR3.1 or SVR3.2.  The FIXES file in the source says
the book on awk went to the printer in August 1987 and I remember that
it was October 1987 when I bought the book.  I suppose I should try to
double check if it says that awk is available with Unix from AT&T; if
it does then that probably points at SVR3.1. (Anyone know the official
release dates for 3.1 and 3.2?  That might help.)

The gawk doc has said 3.1 since forever, but recently I started to wonder.
Nevertheless, since I wrote that much closer to when it happened, maybe I
should just trust my past self and not worry about it too much.  :-)

BWK first released his awk publicly circa 1993; I have about 20 different
versions, which I think comprise all the public releases he's made over
the years, but I can't be sure that I didn't miss any, since he doesn't
notify me when he makes a release :-(.

Thanks,

Arnold

* [TUHS] when did new awk first appear?
@ 2011-04-12 19:17     ` Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2011-04-12 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for straightening this out!  When I did a quick skim of my copy
of the book a few weeks ago I missed it.

Arnold

@ 2011-04-11 11:35   ` Jaap Akkerhuis
From: Jaap Akkerhuis @ 2011-04-11 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2011-04-11 10:43 arnold
From: arnold @ 2011-04-11 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

> > Hi. Does anyone remember for sure if "new" awk shipped with System V
> > Release 3.1 or 3.2?  I know it wasn't 3.0.
>
> Hi,
>
> http://www.levenez.com/lang/ says 1978 for oawk and 1985 for nawk.

New awk existed inside the Research group for some time before it
filtered out through System V.  It was even available separately,
directly from them, to educational institutions. Circa 1986 I got
a copy that way when I worked at the Emory University computing center.

> regarding http://www.levenez.com/unix/, 1978 is between v6 and v7,
> and 1985 is between SVr2 and SVr3.0.

True but not relevant; new awk was released with System V at either
3.1 or 3.2; I'm leaning towards 3.1 since that is what I wrote way back
when in the gawk manual when I knew for sure. :-)

Unless anyone can check the actual sources, I think we should declare
this closed...  Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Arnold

* [TUHS] when did new awk first appear?
@ 2011-04-11  9:56 ` Cyrille Lefevre
From: Cyrille Lefevre @ 2011-04-11  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 07/04/2011 21:07, Aharon Robbins a écrit :

> Hi. Does anyone remember for sure if "new" awk shipped with System V
> Release 3.1 or 3.2?  I know it wasn't 3.0.

Hi,

http://www.levenez.com/lang/ says 1978 for oawk and 1985 for nawk.

regarding http://www.levenez.com/unix/, 1978 is between v6 and v7,
and 1985 is between SVr2 and SVr3.0.

Regards,

Cyrille Lefevre
mailto:Cyrille.Lefevre-lists at laposte.net

* [TUHS] when did new awk first appear?
@ 2011-04-08 16:33 Brian S Walden
From: Brian S Walden @ 2011-04-08 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jaap Akkerhuis wrote:
> Officially it was written by Aho Weinberger Kernighan but
> I suspect Brian did most of the actual coding.

quote of Aho from an interview ---

 "We [Aho and Kernighan] had created a grammatical specification for AWK but
  hadn't yet created the full run-time environment. Weinberger came along
  and said 'hey, this looks like a language I could use myself', and within
  a week he created a working run time for AWK."

see http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/216844/a-z_programming_languages_awk/?fp=4194304&fpid=1%2F

* [TUHS] when did new awk first appear?
@ 2011-04-07 19:07 Aharon Robbins