The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] In memoriam: Jon Postel
@ 2018-10-16  4:35 Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-10-16  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

We lost Jon Postel, regarded as the Father of the Internet (due to his many
RFCs) on this day in 1998.

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] In memoriam: Jon Postel
@ 2018-10-16 14:01 ` Kaveh Ranjbar via TUHS
From: Kaveh Ranjbar via TUHS @ 2018-10-16 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

> On 16 Oct 2018, at 06:35, Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org> wrote:
>
> We lost Jon Postel, regarded as the Father of the Internet (due to his many RFCs) on this day in 1998.

RIPE 77 is in action right now in Amsterdam and DFK did a short talk titled "Why It is Important to Remember Jon Postel” during the second plenary session of today.

You can find a link to the video at https://ripe77.ripe.net/programme/meeting-plan/plenary/#tues2

Daniel’s talk starts at 54:42 in the current video, I’ve been told the video will be cut to reflect each presentation individually in a few days time.

— Kaveh

* Re: [TUHS] In memoriam: Jon Postel
@ 2018-10-29  1:48 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-10-29  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018, Noel Chiappa wrote:

>    > From: Dave Horsfall
>
>    > We lost Jon Postel, regarded as the Father of the Internet
>
> Vint and Bob Kahn might disagree with that that... :-)

[...]

Thanks for the correction.

@ 2018-10-16 11:13 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-10-16 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Dave Horsfall

    > We lost Jon Postel, regarded as the Father of the Internet

Vint and Bob Kahn might disagree with that that... :-)

    > (due to his many RFCs)

You need to distinguish between the many for which he was an editor (e.g. IP,
TCP, etc), and the (relatively few, compared to the others) which he actually
wrote himself, e.g. RFC-925, "Multi-LAN address resolution".

Not that he didn't make absolutely huge contributions, but we should be
accurate.

	Noel