The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] Boot_Images and the networking activated version of Simh
@ 2002-12-09 10:00 Fred N. van Kempen
From: Fred N. van Kempen @ 2002-12-09 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren,

Oh, I see Andru already uploaded it to Minnie as well.. OK..

Thanks, Andru!

--fred

@ 2002-12-07  5:08     ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2002-12-07  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article by Andru Luvisi:

@ 2002-12-05 17:11   ` Andru Luvisi
From: Andru Luvisi @ 2002-12-05 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

All righty.  I have:
  A working boot image for a networked 2.11BSD system inside simh.
  Some perl scripts for working with simh tape images.
  simh startup script for booting the networked image.
  simh startup script for booting from the install tape.
  Some basic instructions for how to get the thing going (not a substitute
    for reading the simh docs and knowing something about UNIX).

I emailed Warren but he seems to be unavailable right now.

So, who's got an archive I can upload it to?

Andru
--
Andru Luvisi, Programmer/Analyst

Quote Of The Moment:
  "In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the
  universe."
                  -- Carl Sagan

* [pups] Boot_Images and the networking activated version of Simh
@ 2002-11-29 17:22 ` Andru Luvisi
From: Andru Luvisi @ 2002-11-29 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Fred N. van Kempen wrote:
> People,
>
> DO note that the Ethernet operations of SimH heavily depend on the proper
> workings AND configuration of a Packet Filter driver for your platform,
> so, something like BPF, EFILT, NetFLT or WinPCAP (for Win32).  Try running
> a test app for that stuff BEFORE trying to run SimH/ENET stuff.. if the
> test app works OK, you can start figuring out why SimH/ENET doesn't work
> on your system.
[snip]

A cursory glance at sim_ether.c makes it look like it uses libpcap, as
does tcpdump.  Does having tcpdump work count as a valid test?  If not,
can you suggest another program to try?

Andru
--

@ 2002-11-29 13:47 Fred N. van Kempen
From: Fred N. van Kempen @ 2002-11-29 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

People,

DO note that the Ethernet operations of SimH heavily depend on the proper
workings AND configuration of a Packet Filter driver for your platform,
so, something like BPF, EFILT, NetFLT or WinPCAP (for Win32).  Try running
a test app for that stuff BEFORE trying to run SimH/ENET stuff.. if the
test app works OK, you can start figuring out why SimH/ENET doesn't work
on your system.

I have *three* network cards the drivers of which DO NOT support promisc
mode.  Which obviously results in WinPCAP (they're PCI cards under Win2K)
not functioning properly, and, thus, same for SimH/ENET.

--fred

@ 2002-11-29  7:02 ` Andru Luvisi
From: Andru Luvisi @ 2002-11-29  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-11-29  4:11 Gregg C Levine