The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] PDP-11/VAX Unix Chaosnet
@ 2018-11-04 13:48 Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2018-11-04 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Hello,

According to this: https://lm-3.github.io/amber.html#The-Unix-Implementation
there were Chaosnet for PDP-11 Unix V7, and VAX Berkeley Unix.  Does
anyone have a copy of this?

Thes repository: https://github.com/LM-3/chaos may or may not have
something of that left, but has been hacked for Linux.

* Re: [TUHS] PDP-11/VAX Unix Chaosnet
@ 2018-11-04 14:59 ` Clem cole
From: Clem cole @ 2018-11-04 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Brinkhoff; +Cc: tuhs

Yes assuming I can read the tape

Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not quite.

@ 2018-11-05  7:19   ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2018-11-05  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem cole; +Cc: tuhs

Let's hope it's OK!

I found some files for 4.1BSD and 4.3BSD.  I suppose I'll have to add a
simulation of the Unibus CH11 Chaosnet interface to SIMH.

@ 2018-11-05 11:11 ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2018-11-05 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Chiappa; +Cc: tuhs

Noel Chiappa wrote:
>> I suppose I'll have to add a simulation of the Unibus CH11 Chaosnet
>> interface to SIMH.
>
> Why? Once 10M Ethernet hardware was available, people switched pretty
> rapidly to using that, instead of the CHAOS hardware.

Because the 4.1BSD Chaosnet I have found only supports CH11.  And also,
it would be useful for running MINITS and ITS on SIMH.

* Re: [TUHS] PDP-11/VAX Unix Chaosnet
@ 2018-11-05 10:08 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-11-05 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Lars Brinkhoff

    > Let's hope it's OK!

Indeed! It will be fun to see that code.

    > I suppose I'll have to add a simulation of the Unibus CH11 Chaosnet
    > interface to SIMH.

Why? Once 10M Ethernet hardware was available, people switched pretty rapidly
to using that, instead of the CHAOS hardware. (It was available off the shelf,
and the analog hardware was better designed.) That's part of the reason ARP is
multi-protocol.

Some hard-to-run cables (e.g. under the street from Tech Sq to main campus)
stayed CHAOS hardware because it was easier to just keep using what was there,
but most new machines got Ethernet cards.

    Noel