The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] BSD job control, aka the guy, etc
@ 2017-01-10 20:52 Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2017-01-10 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I asked:
> I wonder where the inspiration for the Unix job control came from?  In
> particular, I can't help but notice that Control-Z does something very
> similar in the PDP-10 Incompatible Timesharing System.

Jim Kulp answered:

@ 2017-01-11  3:19 ` Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2017-01-11  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, ITS and Tenex/TOPS were the inspiration for UNIX ^Z.  When I was at
Berkeley, of course we didn't have windowing environments, we had dumb
terminals, and it was nice to be able to interrupt a long-running job
for a shell command.  I recall asking for it, and I think Bill put it
into csh.

@ 2017-01-11 12:37   ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2017-01-11 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mary Ann Horton wrote:
> Jim Kulp wrote:
>> Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
>>> I wonder where the inspiration for the Unix job control came from?  In
>>> particular, I can't help but notice that Control-Z does something very
>>> similar in the PDP-10 Incompatible Timesharing System.
>>
>> The ITS capabilities were certainly part of the inspiration.  It was a
>> combination of frustrations and gaps in UNIX with some of those
>> features found in ITS that resulted in the final package of features.
>
> Yes, ITS and Tenex/TOPS were the inspiration for UNIX ^Z.

Not so much TOPS-20, according to Jim Kulp.