The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Reorganising the Unix Archive? (GNU?)
@ 2017-02-20  6:14 Jason Stevens
From: Jason Stevens @ 2017-02-20  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I dont know if it's worth even trying to find and mirror pre 1993 ( IE when cheap CD-ROM mastering was possible) GNU software?

Things like binutils, gas, and GCC can be tremendously useful, along with binaries for long "dead" platforms?

I know that I've always been super thankful of the GNAT people for having some pre-compiled version of the ADA translator which would also include GCC. Sometimes having some kind of native toolset is a big positive, when you don't have anything, especially earlier versions that have issues cross or Canadian cross compiling.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Reorganising the Unix Archive? (GNU?)
@ 2017-02-20  6:50 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-02-20  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 02:14:19PM +0800, Jason Stevens wrote:
>    I dont know if it's worth even trying to find and mirror pre 1993 ( IE
>    when cheap CD-ROM mastering was possible) GNU software?

I'm happy to accept CD images of GNU stuff, but "GNU's not Unix" so it
may not be put into the Unix Archive.

We do need a GNU historian and curator. Ditto for Linux.

Cheers, Warren

* [TUHS] Reorganising the Unix Archive? (GNU?)
@ 2017-02-20  7:00   ` Nick Downing
From: Nick Downing @ 2017-02-20  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would be happy to provide hosting for pretty much anything, although
any curating activities would have to wait until I have time. I
purchased a domain "retrosbc.com" which was supposed to be for a retro
single-board computers business, not my current enthusiasm but it has
"retro" in the name and is sufficiently opaque that it can host
anything retro :) If anyone is keen to make use of this hosting to put
curated materials online, then I will provide them an account, its a
virtual server and I think anyone here would be capable of "sshing" to
it.
cheers, Nick

@ 2017-02-20  7:10 ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2017-02-20  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason Stevens <jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com> writes:
> I dont know if it's worth even trying to find and mirror pre 1993 ( IE
> when cheap CD-ROM mastering was possible) GNU software?
>
> Things like binutils, gas, and GCC can be tremendously useful, along
> with binaries for long "dead" platforms?

I have collected old version of GNU Emacs.  19.x is well covered.  18.x
less so.  Noah Friedman had 16.56, and I found two releases of Emacs 17
and one I believe to be version 13!

Other historical Unix Emacsen: MicroEMACS 30 from Dave Conroy, Gosling
Emacs, Warren Montgomery/BTL/ATT/unixpc Emacs, EMACS-11 by Fred Fish.

Get these from https://github.com/larsbrinkhoff/emacs-history

* [TUHS] Reorganising the Unix Archive? (GNU?)
@ 2017-02-20  7:19   ` Jason Stevens
From: Jason Stevens @ 2017-02-20  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Cool, hopefully one has the cuckoo's root bug!

@ 2017-02-20  7:23   ` Jason Stevens
From: Jason Stevens @ 2017-02-20  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been on again and off again collecting stuff...  What I've found I've put on source forge since it's easier to upload binaries there.  Same for Linux, while there is an ancient Linux site, all it's mirrors are vanishing

@ 2017-02-20  9:08     ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2017-02-20  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

There's a fair amount of stuff on ftp.gnu.org itself.  The FSF
used to make tapes and CDs; perhaps they still have some laying around?

I'm not sure who to ask there, though, although I could try to find
someone.

Arnold

@ 2017-02-20  9:59       ` jsteve
From: jsteve @ 2017-02-20  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recently found out that vim.org of all places had a copy of GCC 0.9, which was the first public version, to support the VAX & 68020 SUN platforms of the time.

http://ftp.vim.org/languages/gcc/old-releases/gcc-1/

I built it on SIMH + 4.2BSD VAX along with the ‘gnu1988’ along with other gems like bison 1.00, flex 1.0 .. and it was a lot more unstable than I was expecting, the next oldest version is 1.21 which adds more platforms, and some much needed stability.  I know it’s old, but it’s funny how pro SUN they were at the time.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

@ 2017-02-20 11:12         ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2017-02-20 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Interesting.  WRT sun and vax, those were the two most popular platforms
at the time. So if you wanted to spread the Free Software gospel, it
made sense to target those platforms first.

Targetting 68020 also made a number of other vendors potentially available.
Apollo comes to mind, I'm sure there were others.

I remember bootstrapping GCC 1.0 on one of the vaxen I ran when I
was a sysadmin at Emory University. I don't think I played with anything
earlier but I don't remember.

Arnold

@ 2017-02-20 16:46           ` Deborah Scherrer
From: Deborah Scherrer @ 2017-02-20 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to add the Software Tools to the Unix archive.  As you may
remember, Brian Kernighan and P. J. Plauger wrote a book about
developing Unix-like code for non-Unix systems.   We at the Lawrence
Berkeley Lab took that idea and ran with it.  We eventually produced a
set of Unix utilities and a system interface that could be reproduced on
virtually any operating system.  This was freely distributed and
eventually the package was put up on over 50 different
computers/systems.  There was a user group of about 2000. The movement
earned one of the Usenix Flame Awards, way back when.

We have the original tapes produced at Lawrence Berkeley Lab, plus a
Pascal version, plus a version for CP/M.   We would like to add these to
the Unix archive, if you think it appropriate.

Deborah

@ 2017-02-20 18:27             ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2017-02-20 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Debborah.

I don't know if we ever met but I certainly recognize your name
from the Software Tools work.

The original Ratfor and Pascal versions of the tools from the
Kernighan and Plauger books are already in the archive, donated
by yours truly many years ago. (They're from the tapes Addison Wesley
would sell you at the time.)

Nontheless, I think it would be WONDERFUL to have the enhanced
tools you folks did in the archives.

Please contribute them!

Arnold

P.S. I've asked before, but maybe there are more people around now...

I was involved with the Georgia Tech subsystem for Pr1me computers which
also built a very Unix like environment in an enhnaced Ratfor to run
on top of Primos.  Some of the doc is archived, and I have some paper
copies, but I'd love to see that code unearthed...

I've made a very few bits that were ported to C are available under
http://github.com/arnoldrobbins, and the 'se' editor has been revived
by Thomas Cort at se-editor.org, but that's all in C.

If anyone has a tape, I might have a program that could extract
it under *nix.

Thanks!

@ 2017-02-20 18:37               ` Deborah Scherrer
From: Deborah Scherrer @ 2017-02-20 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was one of the 3 primary authors of the Software Tools system (along
with Dennis Hall and Joe Sventek), and I was the founder of the users
group.  (Also served a long time on the Usenix Board, was even president
for a while.) Yes, the Georgia Tech stuff was from our system.   And, we
expanded extensively beyond the tape that was available with the
Kernighan/Plauger book.

I would be  pleased to contribute our code to the archive.  Thanks.

Deborah

@ 2017-02-20 18:56                 ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2017-02-20 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I didn't realize the GT guys started with your stuff.  I think it diverged
and there were definitely things developed at GT but I won't claim to
know who did what, since it was mature by the time I became involved
with it. It was very tuned for the Pr1mes.

In any case, please do contribute.

Thanks!

Arnold

@ 2017-02-20 19:46             ` Brantley Coile