The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Open Sourcing IRIX?
@ 2006-11-26 23:13 Lord Doomicus
From: Lord Doomicus @ 2006-11-26 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since SGI is EOL'ing IRIX at the end of the year, has anyone asked
them if they would donate it's source ( under some sort of OSI
license of course ) to the UNIX archive?

Or is there too much SysV code in it?

It would be cool to have easy access to the older IRIX versions for
older SGI hardware.

- Derrik

Derrik Walker v2.0, RHCE
lorddoomicus at mac.com
http://www.doomd.net

...  I am using an Apple Macintosh to design the Cray-3
supercomputer.  -- Seymour Cray, 1986

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Open Sourcing IRIX?
@ 2006-11-26 23:46 ` Michael Kerpan
From: Michael Kerpan @ 2006-11-26 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

That would be pretty cool, but frankly the IRIX kernel is unneccsary.
A bettter thing to do would be to contribute the stuff like the IRIX
GUI and the like.

Mike

On 11/26/06, Lord Doomicus <lorddoomicus at mac.com> wrote:
> Since SGI is EOL'ing IRIX at the end of the year, has anyone asked them if
> they would donate it's source ( under some sort of OSI license of course )
> to the UNIX archive?
>
> Or is there too much SysV code in it?
>
> It would be cool to have easy access to the older IRIX versions for older
> SGI hardware.
>

> - Derrik
>
> Derrik Walker v2.0, RHCE
> lorddoomicus at mac.com
> http://www.doomd.net
>
> ...  I am using an Apple Macintosh to design the Cray-3 supercomputer.  --
> Seymour Cray, 1986

* [TUHS] Open Sourcing IRIX?
@ 2006-11-27  3:34 ` Paul Duffy
From: Paul Duffy @ 2006-11-27  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Highly unlikely. After all they didn't buy out their Unix license like Sun
did. IRIX has been basically abandoned by SGI which is a pity. However
their is quite an IRIX user community at Nekochan with 1500 members on the
forums: http://forums.nekochan.net/index.php

Nekoware as it called is probably the best repositry of
freeware/opensource software out their for IRIX these days. Even SGI's own
freeware site points to them.

-Paul

"There is no greater sorrow then to remember times of happiness when
miserable" -- Dante "The Inferno"

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006, Lord Doomicus wrote:

> Since SGI is EOL'ing IRIX at the end of the year, has anyone asked them if
> they would donate it's source ( under some sort of OSI license of course ) to
> the UNIX archive?
>
> Or is there too much SysV code in it?
>
> It would be cool to have easy access to the older IRIX versions for older SGI
> hardware.
>
> - Derrik
>
> Derrik Walker v2.0, RHCE
> lorddoomicus at mac.com
> http://www.doomd.net
>
> ...  I am using an Apple Macintosh to design the Cray-3 supercomputer.  --
> Seymour Cray, 1986

* [TUHS] Open Sourcing IRIX?
@ 2006-11-27 14:41   ` Michael Kerpan
From: Michael Kerpan @ 2006-11-27 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

As I said, IRIX itself is nothing but an obsolete kernel. It might be
cool for preservation purposes to have the code (and that's what TUHS
is all about) but as a practical solution, I'm not really sure. SGI
has already opened up a lot of their best stuff (XFS, OpenGL, Inventor
(a sinfully under-used high level layer on top of OpenGL) The main
thing they haven't opened up is their Desktop. It's really a far
superior Motif-based system than CDE (the look, for example is so
well-modified that it doesn't even have that archaic Motif-y look) and
an open source version of the IRIX desktop layered on top of Linux (or
*BSD) would really go a long way towards producing a usable AND
attractive Unix-like for lower-end systems.

Any idea of the odds of at least the IRIX Desktop being opened up?

On 11/26/06, Paul Duffy <dubhthach at compsoc.nuigalway.ie> wrote:
> Highly unlikely. After all they didn't buy out their Unix license like Sun
> did. IRIX has been basically abandoned by SGI which is a pity. However
> their is quite an IRIX user community at Nekochan with 1500 members on the
> forums: http://forums.nekochan.net/index.php
>
> Nekoware as it called is probably the best repositry of
> freeware/opensource software out their for IRIX these days. Even SGI's own
> freeware site points to them.
>
> -Paul
>
> "There is no greater sorrow then to remember times of happiness when
> miserable" -- Dante "The Inferno"
>
> On Sun, 26 Nov 2006, Lord Doomicus wrote:
>
> > Since SGI is EOL'ing IRIX at the end of the year, has anyone asked them if
> > they would donate it's source ( under some sort of OSI license of course ) to
> > the UNIX archive?
> >
> > Or is there too much SysV code in it?
> >
> > It would be cool to have easy access to the older IRIX versions for older SGI
> > hardware.
> >
> > - Derrik
> >
> > Derrik Walker v2.0, RHCE
> > lorddoomicus at mac.com
> > http://www.doomd.net
> >
> > ...  I am using an Apple Macintosh to design the Cray-3 supercomputer.  --
> > Seymour Cray, 1986

* [TUHS] Open Sourcing IRIX?
@ 2006-11-28  7:12     ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2006-11-28  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday 28 November 2006 03:41, Michael Kerpan wrote:
> As I said, IRIX itself is nothing but an obsolete kernel. It might be
> cool for preservation purposes to have the code (and that's what TUHS
> is all about)
<snip>

And that's what I for one want to see.  The more Un*x branches we have in
preservation for study purposes, the less chance a software pirate like The
Societe Commercial du Ondit (The Rumormongers Company) Group has of
succeeding in meritless law suits.

I think someone should ask Novell to consider declaring the Un*x SySVRx source
tree available under the GPL or some such license.  And releasing OSF/1 and
such SVRx derivatives from requiring a Un*x source code license, if they want
to release their ancient source trees for preservation purposes.

It would be a fitting end to the AT&T Un*x role in computer science history.

Wesley Parish

> On 11/26/06, Paul Duffy <dubhthach at compsoc.nuigalway.ie> wrote:
> > Highly unlikely. After all they didn't buy out their Unix license like
> > Sun did. IRIX has been basically abandoned by SGI which is a pity.
> > However their is quite an IRIX user community at Nekochan with 1500
> > members on the forums: http://forums.nekochan.net/index.php
> >
> > Nekoware as it called is probably the best repositry of
> > freeware/opensource software out their for IRIX these days. Even SGI's
> > own freeware site points to them.
> >
> > -Paul
> >
> > "There is no greater sorrow then to remember times of happiness when
> > miserable" -- Dante "The Inferno"
> >
> > On Sun, 26 Nov 2006, Lord Doomicus wrote:
> > > Since SGI is EOL'ing IRIX at the end of the year, has anyone asked them
> > > if they would donate it's source ( under some sort of OSI license of
> > > course ) to the UNIX archive?
> > >
> > > Or is there too much SysV code in it?
> > >
> > > It would be cool to have easy access to the older IRIX versions for
> > > older SGI hardware.
> > >
> > > - Derrik
> > >
> > > Derrik Walker v2.0, RHCE
> > > lorddoomicus at mac.com
> > > http://www.doomd.net
> > >
> > > ...  I am using an Apple Macintosh to design the Cray-3 supercomputer.
> > > -- Seymour Cray, 1986

-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?

* [TUHS] Open Sourcing IRIX?
@ 2006-11-28 13:17       ` Michael Kerpan
       [not found]         ` <8B9D43B4-BCF3-4768-98D3-E2D77248458E@vetsystems.com>
From: Michael Kerpan @ 2006-11-28 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

That would never happen as it's SCO, not Novell, that owns System V
and SCO is a M$-funded anti-open source crusader.

On 11/28/06, Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 November 2006 03:41, Michael Kerpan wrote:
> > As I said, IRIX itself is nothing but an obsolete kernel. It might be
> > cool for preservation purposes to have the code (and that's what TUHS
> > is all about)
> <snip>
>
> And that's what I for one want to see.  The more Un*x branches we have in
> preservation for study purposes, the less chance a software pirate like The
> Societe Commercial du Ondit (The Rumormongers Company) Group has of
> succeeding in meritless law suits.
>
> I think someone should ask Novell to consider declaring the Un*x SySVRx source
> tree available under the GPL or some such license.  And releasing OSF/1 and
> such SVRx derivatives from requiring a Un*x source code license, if they want
> to release their ancient source trees for preservation purposes.
>
> It would be a fitting end to the AT&T Un*x role in computer science history.
>
> Wesley Parish

* [TUHS] Open Sourcing IRIX?
@ 2006-11-28 13:41         ` John Cowan
       [not found]         ` <8B9D43B4-BCF3-4768-98D3-E2D77248458E@vetsystems.com>
From: John Cowan @ 2006-11-28 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Kerpan scripsit:

> That would never happen as it's SCO, not Novell, that owns System V

Novell claims otherwise, that SCO is not the copyright owner but
simply has a license to distribute.

--
That you can cover for the plentiful            John Cowan
and often gaping errors, misconstruals,         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
and disinformation in your posts                cowan at ccil.org
through sheer volume -- that is another
misconception.  --Mike to Peter

* [TUHS] Open Sourcing IRIX?
       [not found]         ` <8B9D43B4-BCF3-4768-98D3-E2D77248458E@vetsystems.com>
@ 2006-11-28 16:57           ` Michael Kerpan
From: Michael Kerpan @ 2006-11-28 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Caldera changed very drastically as a company at the time it changed
its name to SCO). Ancient Unix was opened up in January of 2002. In
June of that year, the CEO of Caldera was forcibly replaced with an
M$-backed anti-open source crusader. It was at that point that Caldera
stopped selling its Linux distro, changed its name to SCO and started
suing any company involved with Linux.
On 11/28/06, Robert Tillyard <rob at vetsystems.com> wrote:

> On 28 Nov 2006, at 13:17, Michael Kerpan wrote:
>
> > That would never happen as it's SCO, not Novell, that owns System V
> > and SCO is a M$-funded anti-open source crusader.
>
> Didn't SCO open up the early UNIX versions on TUHS now? and I thought
> that previously Caldera had opened some old OSs like DR-DOS or CP-M.
>
> Regards, Rob.

* [TUHS] Open Sourcing IRIX?
@ 2006-11-29  7:04           ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2006-11-29  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would say that since the copyrights on the Santa Cruz Operation Unixware
2.1.3 man pages are Novell's, that Novell actually has the copyrights.  Doing
man pages seems to be the role of the source code maintainer.  Ergo, they
didn't sell the copyrights, they sold a business opportunity.

groklaw.net has most of the info and analysis.

Wesley Parish

@ 2006-11-29  7:14             ` M. Warner Losh
From: M. Warner Losh @ 2006-11-29  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message: <200611292004.11077.wes.parish at paradise.net.nz>
            Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz> writes:
: I would say that since the copyrights on the Santa Cruz Operation
: Unixware 2.1.3 man pages are Novell's, that Novell actually has the
: copyrights.  Doing man pages seems to be the role of the source code
: maintainer.  Ergo, they didn't sell the copyrights, they sold a
: business opportunity.

Copyright notices don't tell the whole story.  They aren't required
for new code (and Sys V is mostly new enough, unlike Unix V32) after
the Berne enabling legislation.  And when they are transferred, the
old references aren't magically altered.

: groklaw.net has most of the info and analysis.

However, in this case, the bulk of the evidence is that Novell
retained the copyrights.  To transfer a copyright, one must
do so specifically, explicitly and in writing.  At best there's an
implication that Novell is obligated to transfer the copyright, but
even that's a stretch.

Warner

: Wesley Parish
:
: On Wednesday 29 November 2006 02:41, John Cowan wrote:
: > Michael Kerpan scripsit:
: > > That would never happen as it's SCO, not Novell, that owns System V
: >
: > Novell claims otherwise, that SCO is not the copyright owner but
: > simply has a license to distribute.
:
: --
: Clinersterton beademung, with all of love - RIP James Blish
: -----
: Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?
: You ask, what is the most important thing?
: Maku e ki, he tangata, he tangata, he tangata.
: I reply, it is people, it is people, it is people.
: TUHS mailing list
: TUHS at minnie.tuhs.org
:
: