The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] 4.3 Wisc file transfer
@ 2017-04-09 23:10 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-04-09 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Mary Ann Horton

    > What's the best way to transfer files in and out of the simh 4.3BSD Wisc
    > version?  I can do it with tape files, but it seems like FTP or ssh or
    > NFS ought to be possible, and none is behaving at first blush.

Someone should add the equivalent of Ersatz-11's 'DOS' device to SIMH; it's a
pseudo-device that can read files on the host filesystem. (Other stuff too,
but that's the relevant one here.) A short device driver in the emulated OS,
and a program to talk to it, and voila, getting a file into the emulated
system is a short one line command, none of this hassle with putting the bits
on a virtual tape, etc, etc.

I found editing files with 'ed' on my simulated V6 system painful (although i
still have the mental microcode to do it), so I did my editing under Windows
(Epsilon), and then read the file down to the Unix to compile it. Initially I
was doing it by putting the file on a raw virtual pack, and doing something
similar to that tape kludge. Then I got smart, and whipped up a driver for the
DOS device in Ersatz-11, and a program that used it, to allow me to easily
read a file from the Windows filesystem down to the Unix. Going around the
compile-debug-edit loop is totally painless now.

	Noel

* [TUHS] 4.3 Wisc file transfer
@ 2017-04-09 23:20 ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2017-04-09 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I haven't done it, but wouldn't Kermit be relatively painless over a
serial line?

http://www.kermitproject.org/ck90.html

I used it on TOPS-10 and SIMH, using a TELNET connection into an
emulated DZ11 (the version that I got working with SIMH, not the newer one).

Put KERMIT on the BSD side into server mode, and just send all the files
you want to.

On 4/9/2017 7:10 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>      > From: Mary Ann Horton
>
>      > What's the best way to transfer files in and out of the simh 4.3BSD Wisc
>      > version?  I can do it with tape files, but it seems like FTP or ssh or
>      > NFS ought to be possible, and none is behaving at first blush.
>
> Someone should add the equivalent of Ersatz-11's 'DOS' device to SIMH; it's a
> pseudo-device that can read files on the host filesystem. (Other stuff too,
> but that's the relevant one here.) A short device driver in the emulated OS,
> and a program to talk to it, and voila, getting a file into the emulated
> system is a short one line command, none of this hassle with putting the bits
> on a virtual tape, etc, etc.
>
> I found editing files with 'ed' on my simulated V6 system painful (although i
> still have the mental microcode to do it), so I did my editing under Windows
> (Epsilon), and then read the file down to the Unix to compile it. Initially I
> was doing it by putting the file on a raw virtual pack, and doing something
> similar to that tape kludge. Then I got smart, and whipped up a driver for the
> DOS device in Ersatz-11, and a program that used it, to allow me to easily
> read a file from the Windows filesystem down to the Unix. Going around the
> compile-debug-edit loop is totally painless now.
>
> 	Noel

* [TUHS] 4.3 Wisc file transfer
@ 2017-04-11 12:37         ` Jason Stevens
From: Jason Stevens @ 2017-04-11 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for replying off the chain, but here is Apache 1.3.6 compiled for 4.3 UWisc.

It's strictly a "wow it linked" stage, and this is just my source tree that I've compiled in.  I did get it to serve an empty directory to me, so I know that much works.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/bsd42/files/Package%20Tapes/4.3%20BSD%20Uwisc/Apache-1.3.6.compiled.BSD-4.3.Uwisc.tap.bz2/download

It's been a busy day, but I'll try to get a webdav static compile.

If anyone is crazy enough to try it themselves, tell Apache you are running NeXTSTEP, (-DNEXT) as it's a 4.3BSD and seems to be close enough, with the exception that there is no shared libraries.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] 4.3 Wisc file transfer
@ 2017-04-10 23:52           ` Jason Stevens
From: Jason Stevens @ 2017-04-10 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

How?  SLiRP is user mode code.  It's the one doing the nat.

@ 2017-04-10 16:13       ` William Pechter
From: William Pechter @ 2017-04-10 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Either extract Warren's ftp from the template tar tape or I think it's on anonymous ftp at lakewoodmicro.com.

Bill

Bill, mine is set up to NAT, and here's the FTP failure I get. How did
you set up your NIC?

Thanks,

     Mary Ann

% who > who.out
% ftp mah
Connected to mah.
220 mah FTP server (Version 6.4/OpenBSD/Linux-ftpd-0.17) ready.
Name (mah:mah):
331 Password required for mah.
Password:
230 User mah logged in.
ftp> debug
Debugging on (debug=1).
ftp> put who.out
---> PORT 10,0,2,4,4,33
500 Illegal PORT rejected (address wrong).
---> STOR who.out
425 Can't build data connection: Connection refused.
ftp> quit
---> QUIT
221 Goodbye.

cbosgd# ifconfig de0
de0: flags=43<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING>
         inet 10.0.2.4 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 10.0.2.255

mah@/home/mah/src/vax/4.3-wisc> grep xu  boot2.ini
set xu enable
attach xu nat:

On 04/09/2017 08:32 PM, William Pechter wrote:
> Ftp works.  I wish I could get lynx and wet to build.
>
> Bill
>

> Cheers, Warren

* [TUHS] 4.3 Wisc file transfer
@ 2017-04-10 15:43         ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-04-10 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-04-10 15:42       ` Jason Stevens
From: Jason Stevens @ 2017-04-10 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-04-10 15:23     ` Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2017-04-10 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill, mine is set up to NAT, and here's the FTP failure I get. How did
you set up your NIC?

Thanks,

     Mary Ann

% who > who.out
% ftp mah
Connected to mah.
220 mah FTP server (Version 6.4/OpenBSD/Linux-ftpd-0.17) ready.
Name (mah:mah):
331 Password required for mah.
Password:
230 User mah logged in.
ftp> debug
Debugging on (debug=1).
ftp> put who.out
---> PORT 10,0,2,4,4,33
500 Illegal PORT rejected (address wrong).
---> STOR who.out
425 Can't build data connection: Connection refused.
ftp> quit
---> QUIT
221 Goodbye.

cbosgd# ifconfig de0
de0: flags=43<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING>
         inet 10.0.2.4 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 10.0.2.255

mah@/home/mah/src/vax/4.3-wisc> grep xu  boot2.ini
set xu enable
attach xu nat:

On 04/09/2017 08:32 PM, William Pechter wrote:
> Ftp works.  I wish I could get lynx and wet to build.
>
> Bill
>

> Cheers, Warren

* [TUHS] 4.3 Wisc file transfer
@ 2017-04-10  4:26       ` Henry Bent
From: Henry Bent @ 2017-04-10  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I haven't worked too much with 4.3BSD but I have worked extensively with
Ultrix 1 which is basically 4.2.  If you can get a relatively recent gmake
and gcc 2 going, that should be enough to get bash 2 built, and from there
you can use that to run configure scripts with LIBS=-liberty which should
be enough for most smaller programs.  Perl 5.6 should be possible. If you
really want a web server, maybe try thttpd.  MySQL/PHP/WebDAV seem like a
pipe dream, 4.3BSD doesn't have dynamic loading and even if you can get
around that you're still going to run into memory limitations in a big
hurry.

Personally, I just set up rsh so that I can use rcp to move files in and
out. Setting up rsh on a modern OS can be a pain but it's still much
simpler than most of what is being proposed here. I find that life is much
easier if you look at what tools are available in the historic OS and find
a way to use those with a modern OS, rather than the other way around.

Oh, and I'm not sure what the 4.3BSD default is, but make sure your
interface isn't using trailers. They don't play well with modern networking.

-Henry

@ 2017-04-10  3:56     ` jsteve
From: jsteve @ 2017-04-10  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a pre-built Lynx for 4.3 UWISC here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/bsd42/files/Package%20Tapes/4.3%20BSD%20Uwisc/lynx-2.8.2.binary.BSD-4.3.Uwisc.tap.bz2/download

https://sourceforge.net/projects/bsd42/files/Package%20Tapes/4.3%20BSD%20Uwisc/AberMUD-2.BSD-4.3.Uwisc.tap.bz2/download

I need to troll the old usenet stuff for some sz/rz and an old httpd, maybe Apache 1.3 may work as well, I mean I did get it to actually build for NT 3. 1 of all things, so a BSD shouldn’t be such a long shot.  Maybe add in a perl, and we can have a semi useful gateway....  Although I guess adding in MySQL and going full *AMP may be a bit crazy, but it could be useful.. And maybe it’d open up WebDAV for shuffling files around.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

@ 2017-04-10  3:32   ` William Pechter

@ 2017-04-10  1:46 ` Jason Stevens
From: Jason Stevens @ 2017-04-10  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

You have to remember this is old stuff, so you will have to fight protocol drift.

Simh has issues using pcap and talking to the host is, it's more so a pcap limitation.  I think the newer version has tun/tap support which may be easier to deal with, although more involved.

My favorite way was using a web server to serve files out.  As for getting stuff in, a simple CGI or like thing for uploading.

Back in 4.3 land, ftp is going to be active mode, there was no nat, no passive mode, so you'll need to configure accordingly.

How do you have your lan setup?  What host OS? Are you trying to access fSit from the same machine?

In the past I've had to use uuencode/uudecode on a connection to transfer the bare minimum of a pre-compiled GCC to sparc solaris, so I know this pain.

Also don't forget if you have tty access you can build sz/rz and use Z-modem.

NFS should be present in UWisc, it has many Sun stuff built in.  But keep in mind it's very old, and could easily suffer from odd things like block size issues, akin to stuff like ancient Sun-100U / Sun-2 had.

@ 2017-04-10  0:05 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2017-04-10  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-04-09 17:14 Mary Ann Horton