The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] DG/UX Machine. $$ reward
@ 2010-07-09 13:51 DG UX
From: DG UX @ 2010-07-09 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey all,

Got an old PentiumPro AViiON DG/UX machine.
I was just wodering if anyone happens to have an old, unused machine like
that.
If so, please reply with details, as well as geographic location.
All shipping costs will be payed by me.
A cash reward is offered, if you are interested.

Thanks,
A'
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] DG/UX Machine. $$ reward
@ 2010-07-10  9:32 ` asbesto
From: asbesto @ 2010-07-10  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 04:51:31PM +0300, DG UX wrote:

> Got an old PentiumPro AViiON DG/UX machine.
> I was just wodering if anyone happens to have an old, unused machine like
> that.
> If so, please reply with details, as well as geographic location.
> All shipping costs will be payed by me.
> A cash reward is offered, if you are interested.

We have a DG Aviion machine but is not working, is part of our
computer museum. Also, our machine is not a PentiumPro but a
very esoteric one, using a motorila 68020 processor (if I
remember well, maybe I'm wrong)

If I understand, can you ship your machine, for example, to our
computer museum? :)

Ah, no, You want a similar machine! :)

p.s. a copy of the operating system or a dump of the DISK/OS
will be appreciated, is very important to save this kind of
software, very hard to found today.

--
[ ::::::::: 73 de IW9HGS : http://freaknet.org/asbesto ::::::::::: ]
[ Freaknet Medialab :: Poetry Hacklab : Dyne.Org :: Radio Cybernet ]

* [TUHS] DG/UX Machine. $$ reward
@ 2010-07-11  0:26   ` Al Kossow
From: Al Kossow @ 2010-07-11  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/10/10 2:32 AM, asbesto wrote:
> using a motorila 68020 processor (if I
> remember well, maybe I'm wrong)

88100 or 88110, depending on model.

* [TUHS] DG/UX Machine. $$ reward
@ 2010-07-11  2:44     ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2010-07-11  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 05:26:38PM -0700, Al Kossow wrote:
> On 7/10/10 2:32 AM, asbesto wrote:
>> using a motorila 68020 processor (if I
>> remember well, maybe I'm wrong)
>>

> 88100 or 88110, depending on model.

Wow.  Been a long time since I've thought about that CPU.  Never wrote
any assembler for it but paged through the manuals.   My memories are
vague but what I remember was sort of feeling like "what's the point?".

Quite a different feeling from when I hit the National 32016 and 32032
manuals.  That was a chip I so wanted to love (and did, until I used
one, pretty buggy).  But a really sweet chip.
--
---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com

* [TUHS] DG/UX Machine. $$ reward
@ 2010-07-11  4:43       ` Jason Stevens
From: Jason Stevens @ 2010-07-11  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I'm not mistaken, it's not until recently the OpenBSD people fought
enough bugs in the GCC for the 88100 to actually make it 'usable'....

I guess that falls in the too little too late category.

@ 2010-07-13  6:52   ` Benjamin Huntsman
From: Benjamin Huntsman @ 2010-07-13  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd be interested to see what becomes of all this too.

Anyone here aware of the Progress database (now called OpenEdge)?
I've got a few copies of v6 for DG/UX, on both architectures...

* [TUHS] DG/UX Machine. $$ reward
@ 2010-07-13  3:51 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2010-07-13  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I went to school with a guy that went to Data General, I could try
and track him down.

Back in that time I was quite active in file system work for Sun and
I looked at what other people were doing (I was also teaching the
grad course in operating systems at Stanford so I was twice as
motivated to look).  I don't recall hearing about any significant
FS work at DG but I may have missed it.

Anyway, I probably can track it down if you really want it.  Be happy
to reconnect with him.

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 08:37:09PM -0700, John Finigan wrote:
> Speaking of DG/UX, anybody know where to find this article?
>
> M. H. Kelley.  A look at the DG/UX file system.
> Technical Report 3, Data General Corporation, 1990
>
> I have a feeling DG was very early with journaling / crash resistant
> filesystem tech but I've seen almost no detailed info, just a couple of
> lines in a brochure.
>

> John Finigan

---

@ 2010-07-13  3:37 John Finigan
From: John Finigan @ 2010-07-13  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-07-12 14:51 ` asbesto
From: asbesto @ 2010-07-12 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 09:50:34AM -0400, Norman Wilson wrote:

>   will be appreciated, is very important to save this kind of
>   software, very hard to found today.
>   [ *I DELETE* EMAIL > 100K, ATTACHMENTS, HTML, M$-WORD DOC and SPAM ]
> I guess if I had a copy it would be unwise to e-mail it to you.
> (I dislike using e-mail as a large-file-transfer service myself,
> but I communicate with enough non-geeks that I consider the
> battle lost.)

:D

--

@ 2010-07-11 13:50 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2010-07-11 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

asbesto at freaknet.org:

  p.s. a copy of the operating system or a dump of the DISK/OS
  will be appreciated, is very important to save this kind of
  software, very hard to found today.

[...]

  [ *I DELETE* EMAIL > 100K, ATTACHMENTS, HTML, M$-WORD DOC and SPAM ]

=======

I guess if I had a copy it would be unwise to e-mail it to you.

(I dislike using e-mail as a large-file-transfer service myself,
but I communicate with enough non-geeks that I consider the
battle lost.)

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON