The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] 2 x PDP-11 MicroVAX II with Terminal and keyboard on offer
@ 2010-07-06  7:55 Kevin Phair
From: Kevin Phair @ 2010-07-06  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

A number of years ago I diverted a couple of PDP-11 systems which were
on their way to a skip. I believe they were in working condition and I
had always intended to clean them up and get them set up and running
again to see what it was all about. This never happened and I no
longer have the space to store them. As a result I'm offering them to
anyone who's willing to pay the shipping. They are located in Dublin,
Ireland.

There is some mild corrosion on some of the metal chassis and the
paint on the VDU casings is peeling off in place but overall I think
they will clean up well.

I think they are the MicroVAX II model and the consist of the PDP-11
chassis unit with a Ramstar T-1500 VDU and keyboard. Each one also has
a power distrubution box and they are configured for 120VAC operation.
There are also power cables (amongst others). I don't know what boards
are installed in them, but they did originally have tape drives
connected and were used to drive an inkjet printing system, so I
expect there is at least a tape controller and serial/parallel
interface in each of them.

Photos of everything are up on
http://sites.google.com/site/kevinphair/old-electronic-equipment/PDP-11
but unfortunately the cabinet units are no longer available.

If anyone is interested in these please get in touch soon as I won't
be able to keep them for much longer. If there's no interest in the
complete units, I'd also be happy to consider donating parts from them
to help with restorations or upgrade projects. I'm also open to
putting them in storage if someone wants to arrange collection at a
later date and is willing to split the storage costs.

--
Regards,

Kevin Phair

* [pups] 2 x PDP-11 MicroVAX II with Terminal and keyboard on offer
@ 2010-07-08  2:40 ` Carl Lowenstein
From: Carl Lowenstein @ 2010-07-08  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 12:55 AM, Kevin Phair <kevin.phair at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A number of years ago I diverted a couple of PDP-11 systems which were
> on their way to a skip. I believe they were in working condition and I
> had always intended to clean them up and get them set up and running
> again to see what it was all about. This never happened and I no
> longer have the space to store them. As a result I'm offering them to
> anyone who's willing to pay the shipping. They are located in Dublin,
> Ireland.
>
> There is some mild corrosion on some of the metal chassis and the
> paint on the VDU casings is peeling off in place but overall I think
> they will clean up well.
>
> I think they are the MicroVAX II model and the consist of the PDP-11
> chassis unit with a Ramstar T-1500 VDU and keyboard. Each one also has
> a power distrubution box and they are configured for 120VAC operation.
> There are also power cables (amongst others). I don't know what boards
> are installed in them, but they did originally have tape drives
> connected and were used to drive an inkjet printing system, so I
> expect there is at least a tape controller and serial/parallel
> interface in each of them.
>
> Photos of everything are up on
> http://sites.google.com/site/kevinphair/old-electronic-equipment/PDP-11
> but unfortunately the cabinet units are no longer available.

Of course a PDP-11 is not a MicroVAX, and vice versa.

Looking at the pictures, the only thing really worth saving would be
the chassis shown with a keyboard next to it.  One can see a floppy
disk drive, and a hole where a hard disk drive probably was once.  If
there is a nameplate on the front, it is not readable in the picture.
A picture of the rear panel would help in further identification, as
well as a reading of any nameplate data on the rear panel.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenstein at ucsd.edu