The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] Looking for binary distribution of v7
@ 2002-11-17 18:24 Mario Premke
From: Mario Premke @ 2002-11-17 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks a lot !!!
That was what I was looking for ...
Nevertheless, mounting the file and boot dl0: leads to the boot-prompt @
After typing unix the boot-prompt appears again - does the kernel have a
different name ?
Thanks in advance
Mario Premke

----------

@ 2002-11-17 20:09 ` M E Leypold @ labnet
       [not found]   ` <leypold@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de>
From: M E Leypold @ labnet @ 2002-11-17 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mario Premke writes:
 > Thanks a lot !!!
 > That was what I was looking for ...
 > Nevertheless, mounting the file and boot dl0: leads to the boot-prompt @
 > After typing unix the boot-prompt appears again - does the kernel have a
 > different name ?
 > Thanks in advance
 > Mario Premke

rlunix?

Regards -- Markus

@ 2002-11-17 23:00     ` Peter Turnbull
From: Peter Turnbull @ 2002-11-17 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 17, 21:09, M E Leypold wrote:

> Mario Premke writes:
>  > Nevertheless, mounting the file and boot dl0: leads to the boot-prompt
@
>  > After typing unix the boot-prompt appears again - does the kernel have
>  > different name ?
>  > Thanks in advance
>  > Mario Premke
>
> rlunix?

It should look something like this (from my 7th Editon on a real PDP-11):

@boot
boot
: rl(0,0)unix

The "@" is the bootstrap prompt, and the first "boot" is what you type.
 The second "boot" is from the boot program itself; the colon ":" is boot's
prompt.  "rl(0,0)" is what you type to name the device, unit, and
partition, and "unix" is the kernel name.  YMMV if you have a different
kernel.  BTW, to shut down an old system like this, you should (as root)
type

# kill -1 1

to stop user processes and return to single-user mode; then type "sync" a
couple of times, to make sure any disk buffers are written out, and then
stop the processor.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager

* [pups] Looking for binary distribution of v7
@ 2002-11-18  2:59 ` Frank Wortner
From: Frank Wortner @ 2002-11-18  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

on 11/17/02 1:24 PM, Mario Premke at Mario.Premke at epost.de wrote:

> Nevertheless, mounting the file and boot dl0: leads to the boot-prompt @
> After typing unix the boot-prompt appears again - does the kernel have a
> different name ?

boot dl0
@boot       <- you type "boot" and press "enter" or "return" in reply
New Boot, known device are hp ht rk rl rp tm vt
: rl(0,0)rl2unix    <- you type "rl(0,0)rl2unix" and press return
mem = 177856
#           <- you are now in "single user" mode
            <- press "control-d" to go to multiuser mode
            <- (the normal mode of operation)
Restricted rights: Use, duplication, or disclosure
is subject to restrictions stated in your contract with
Western Electric Company, Inc.
Thu Sept 22 06:26:09 EDT 1988

login: root     <- login as "root"
#           <- Have fun ...
            <- You did make a backup of the disk image before you started,
            <-  right?  ;-)

If you want to make things easier,  your first command should be:

# cp /rl2unix /unix

Now you will be able to type "rl(0,0)unix" instead of "rl(0,0)rl2unix".  Ps
and other commands that need to read the system namelist also expect the
kernel image to be named /unix.

Enjoy!

--
Frank

"Plez cnoke if an rnsr is not reqid."
Sign on Owl's Door, "Winnie the Pooh"

* [pups] Looking for binary distribution of v7
@ 2002-11-21 20:39 Mario Premke
From: Mario Premke @ 2002-11-21 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks a lot - it works ... I am delighted !!!

----------

@ 2002-11-16 23:31   ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2002-11-16 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello from Gregg C Levine
No need to copy me on the address list, Bill. I caught Mario's message
the first go round, and decided to ask what methods he used to follow
this line of reasoning. It happens I sort of figured that he would have
used google to find things. Google is famous for outdated links.
-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

@ 2002-11-16 22:34 ` Bill Gunshannon
From: Bill Gunshannon @ 2002-11-16 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-11-16 22:23 Mario Premke
From: Mario Premke @ 2002-11-16 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Gregg, thanks for your immediate response !
I recently found the article 'Booting 7th Edition UNIX Images' on the
'vmsnet.pdp-11'-Newsgroups:

<--- SNIP --->

ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/sim/sources/
ftp://minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au/pub/PDP-11-sims/Supnik_2.2d/sources/

Once you get it, you have to compile the simulator. You also need to fetch
the 7th Edition UNIX disk images as well; they are available from the above
ftp sites in the software directory (i.e replace sources with software.
Unpack
the 7th Edition tarball in the same directory as the one you built the
simulator. The only file you require is disks/unix_v7_rl.dsk

<--- SNIP --->

What I wanted to say is that the above ftp-links are dead. You are right, I
should
look for the compressed tarball, but I don't know how the tarball is called
and
looking for 'unix_v7_rl.dsk' on google only leads to other dead links ...
Any hints ?
Mario Premke

----------

@ 2002-11-16 13:50 ` Gregg C Levine

Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net

@ 2002-11-16 13:25 Mario Premke
From: Mario Premke @ 2002-11-16 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-11-15 21:08 Mario Premke
From: Mario Premke @ 2002-11-15 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
I just read the instructions of how to boot a binary version 7 disk image
on a ersatz11 pdp11 emulator.
The links pointing to the 'unix_v7_rl.dsk' image I found are dead ... :-(
Are there any other sites where I can download this binary distribution ??

BTW their are disk dumps of version 7 in the Caldera ancient unix archive
. is it possible to boot
them on ersatz11 as well ? I tried it a few times without success ...
I simply tried it with the following e11.ini (from a newsgroup discussion),
because I heavily lack
PDP 11 hardware knowledge. Nevertheless trying this ini-file and many
variations I made of it all
end up in a blank emulator screen ...

Any ideas will be appreciated

Mario Premke

(Please, send a return mail to my E-Mail address, since I am not on the
list ..)