The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] wrong HISTORY in 4.4BSD manual pages?
@ 2010-05-05 20:55 Jeremy C. Reed
From: Jeremy C. Reed @ 2010-05-05 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was looking at several NetBSD manual pages and saw that some HISTORY
sections had wrong .Bx or BSD reference like:

HISTORY
     The xstr command appeared in 3.0BSD.

I looked at a few and saw this was in 4.4BSD manual pages. By the way,
when were these history sections added? (They aren't in 4.2BSD manual
pages. I should look at 4.3 before asking ...)

I didn't see any that refered to original Berkeley UNIX Software Tape
nor 2BSD.

But from looking at the 1BSD and 2BSD, I see:

apropos was in 2bsd

colcrt was in 1bsd but not in 2bsd
even though 2BSD iul, soelim, and ssp manuals referenced it
(why missing from 2BSD?)

colrm was in 1bsd but not in 2bsd

csh was in 2bsd (even 1bsd referenced the upcoming "csh")

ctags was in 2bsd, but as a shell script using ed

expand was in 1bsd and 2bsd

finger was in 2bsd

fmt was in 2bsd

from was in 2bsd

head was in 1bsd and 2bsd

lock was in 2bsd

last was in 1bsd and 2bsd

mkstr was in 1bsd and 2bsd

msgs was in 2bsd

printenv was in 2bsd

soelim was in first BSD and 2BSD

tset was in 1bsd and 2bsd

w was in 2bsd as finger -sf

whatis was in 2bsd

whereis was in 2bsd

xstr was in 2bsd

lastlog file format was in 1bsd and 2bsd (?? maybe different format??)

Any comments on the above?

Or is this simply because "2BSD" is not a operating system release per
se, so "3.0BSD" is correct?

But this makes me wonder if my 2BSD versions are newer than first
2BSD, so really 3BSD is correct for some of this.

I was going to ask a NetBSD list about this to fix these histories, but
decided to consult TUHS instead. Okay to change history to fix history?
:)

* [TUHS] wrong HISTORY in 4.4BSD manual pages?
@ 2010-05-06  1:40 ` Jeremy C. Reed
From: Jeremy C. Reed @ 2010-05-06  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Or is this simply because "2BSD" is not a operating system release per
> se, so "3.0BSD" is correct?
>
> But this makes me wonder if my 2BSD versions are newer than first
> 2BSD, so really 3BSD is correct for some of this.

I was asked off list what version of 2BSD as it may have been the 4.x
stuff backported. So it is the 2bsd.tar.gz from the minnie.tuhs.org
archive (which is near identical to the spencer_2bsd.tar.gz). Its TAPE
file says: May 10, 1979. The READ_ME says: Thu Apr 19 23:25:43 PST 1979.
And don't see any date stamps included in any files newer than May 1979.
(So not a backport since is 8 months older than 3BSD and 17 months older
than 4BSD.)

* [TUHS] wrong HISTORY in 4.4BSD manual pages?
@ 2010-05-06  3:02   ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2010-05-06  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

2.9BSD, as I recall, was the last release for PDP-11's.  Again, as I
recall, it did a pile of work to take advantage of the larger address
space (I think there was 64KI and 64KD).

I don't recall every seeing a 3BSD release.

On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 08:40:12PM -0500, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > Or is this simply because "2BSD" is not a operating system release per
> > se, so "3.0BSD" is correct?
> >
> > But this makes me wonder if my 2BSD versions are newer than first
> > 2BSD, so really 3BSD is correct for some of this.
>
> I was asked off list what version of 2BSD as it may have been the 4.x
> stuff backported. So it is the 2bsd.tar.gz from the minnie.tuhs.org
> archive (which is near identical to the spencer_2bsd.tar.gz). Its TAPE
> file says: May 10, 1979. The READ_ME says: Thu Apr 19 23:25:43 PST 1979.
> And don't see any date stamps included in any files newer than May 1979.
> (So not a backport since is 8 months older than 3BSD and 17 months older
> than 4BSD.)

---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com

* [TUHS] wrong HISTORY in 4.4BSD manual pages?
@ 2010-05-06  5:56     ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2010-05-06  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry McVoy scripsit:

> 2.9BSD, as I recall, was the last release for PDP-11's.

2.9BSD was the first 2.x release to have a kernel; it contained
a backport of 4.1BSD.  Earlier 2.x releases, like 1BSD, were just
overlays on AT&T Unix.  The current PDP-11 release, however, is 2.11BSD.
It's still being worked on: 2.11.447 was released on New Year's Day, 2009.

> Again, as I recall, it did a pile of work to take advantage of the
> larger address space (I think there was 64KI and 64KD).

Correct.  That, plus a lot of in-memory overlays, was why the backport
was possible at all.

> I don't recall every seeing a 3BSD release.

3BSD was released for the VAX at the end of 1979, containing the first
Berkeley 32-bit kernel and ports of 2.xBSD userland.  It was superseded
by 4BSD (later called 4.0BSD) in October 1980.  The term 5BSD was avoided
by 4.1BSD and later releases to avoid confusion with System V.

--
On the Semantic Web, it's too hard to prove     John Cowan    cowan at ccil.org
you're not a dog.  --Bill de hOra               http://www.ccil.org/~cowan

* [TUHS] wrong HISTORY in 4.4BSD manual pages?
@ 2010-05-06 13:07     ` Milo Velimirovic
From: Milo Velimirovic @ 2010-05-06 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)