The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] IP in v8-v10
@ 2017-03-30  2:36 Doug McIlroy
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2017-03-30  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Can you characterize what the 3rd-party material might be?
>
> Me personally, no. But there are others on the list who can help do this.
> Hopefully they will chime in!

Here's a list, gathered from the manuals, of stuff that Bell Labs
may not have the right to redistribute, with some (uncertain)
attributions of origin. I did not check to see which of them appear in
the TUHS archives; I doubt that /usr/src fully covered /bin and /usr/bin.

This list is at best a first draft. Please weigh in with corrections.

Doug

Kernel internet code. BSD

Imported commands

esterel INRIA
lisp, liszt, lxref MIT
icont, iconc Arizona
macsyma MIT
maple Maplesoft
Mail BSD
matlab Mathworks
more BSD (From the manpage: "More, a paginator that lives up to its name, has
    too many features to describe." Its prodigality has been eclipsed by "less".)
netnews Duke
ops5 CMU
pascal, pc BSD
pxp BSD
readnews, checknews, postnews Duke
sdb BSD
smp Wolfram
spitbol IIT
telnet BSD
tex Stanford
tset BSD
vi, ex, edit BSD

Commands I'm not sure about, could be from Bell Labs

cyntax
news
ropy
strings

Library functions

termcap BSD

Imported games

adventure, zork, aarvark, rogue
atc
doctor MIT
mars
trek, ogre, sol, warp, sail

Games I'm not sure about

back
boggle, hangman
cribbage, fish
ching
gebam
imp
mille
pacman
pengo
swar
tso

* [TUHS] IP in v8-v10
@ 2017-03-30  5:02 ` Warner Losh
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Warner Losh @ 2017-03-30  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Technically, BSD code would be under BSDL with allows distribution....

Warner

* [TUHS] IP in v8-v10
@ 2017-03-30 11:06 ` Derek Fawcus
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Derek Fawcus @ 2017-03-30 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 10:36:02PM -0400, Doug McIlroy wrote:
> This list is at best a first draft. Please weigh in with corrections.
>
> Doug
>
> Kernel internet code. BSD

I've only had a quick glance (mainly at v10), but the kernel TCP/IP
(IP, TCP, UDP, ARP) looks to be a home grow one built around Richie's
Streams.

DF

* [TUHS] IP in v8-v10
@ 2017-03-30 19:29 ` Steve Johnson
From: Steve Johnson @ 2017-03-30 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can't help much, but I did write fish and ching.

ching took a string from the input, hashed it, converted into
hexagrams, and quoted a couple of lines of i Ching text .  The text
was copied from a book, presumably copyrighted, although considering
how long ago this all was maybe the copyright has expired now...

I wrote fish for my young son -- it played the kids game.  Without
graphics it wasn't very compelling.  But there is an interesting
story about it.  A couple of weeks after the first version, I
realized that if my opponent (e.g., the computer) asked me for, e.g. a
six, and later I drew a six, I should ask the opponent for sixes.
With this small change the game defeated all kids and most adults, and
the game was even less interesting as a result.  I ended up putting
in an option to dumb the game back to its original level.

A couple of years later, at a Usenix meeting, I was publicly called
out for writing a game "that cheated".    Unless somebody hacked my
code somewhere along the way, the game simply played excellent
strategy...

Steve

 > > Can you characterize what the 3rd-party material might be?
 >
 > Me personally, no. But there are others on the list who can help do
this.
 > Hopefully they will chime in!

 Here's a list, gathered from the manuals, of stuff that Bell Labs
 may not have the right to redistribute, with some (uncertain)
 attributions of origin. I did not check to see which of them appear
in
 the TUHS archives; I doubt that /usr/src fully covered /bin and
/usr/bin.

 This list is at best a first draft. Please weigh in with corrections.

 Doug

 Kernel internet code. BSD

 Imported commands

 esterel INRIA
 lisp, liszt, lxref MIT
 icont, iconc Arizona
 macsyma MIT
 maple Maplesoft
 Mail BSD
 matlab Mathworks
 more BSD (From the manpage: "More, a paginator that lives up to its
name, has
 too many features to describe." Its prodigality has been eclipsed by
"less".)
 netnews Duke
 ops5 CMU
 pascal, pc BSD
 pxp BSD
 readnews, checknews, postnews Duke
 sdb BSD
 smp Wolfram
 spitbol IIT
 telnet BSD
 tex Stanford
 tset BSD
 vi, ex, edit BSD

 Commands I'm not sure about, could be from Bell Labs

 cyntax
 news
 ropy
 strings

 Library functions

 termcap BSD

 Imported games

 adventure, zork, aarvark, rogue
 atc
 doctor MIT
 mars
 trek, ogre, sol, warp, sail

 Games I'm not sure about

 back
 boggle, hangman
 cribbage, fish
 ching
 gebam
 imp
 mille
 pacman
 pengo
 swar
 tso

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] UUNET
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-03-30 19:44 ` Steve Johnson
From: Steve Johnson @ 2017-03-30 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had some private email from a couple of this list's members, asking
about the relationship between UUNET and Usenix.  I presume some
questions arose because Rick Adams was on the Usenix board, and,
although we on the Usenix board tried to be open about things it's
been
a while, and apparently some people remain suspicious about what
happened.  They urged me to share this history with the list:

I'm happy to share my memories of how UUNET came to be associated
with, and later disassociated from Usenix.

At the time, newsgroups were growing in popularity.  To get a
usegroup delivered, you had to talk with someone who got the
newsgroups and get them to agree to call your computer and deliver it
-- all communication was through modems and phone calls.  The traffic
was growing rapidly and it was clear that we were heading for a brick
wall.   Some universities and private companies found themselves
with computer phone bills of $10,000 a month or higher, and some
critical nodes lived in daily fear that somebody was going to notice
this and shut it down.   Because the network was made up of
individually negotiated links, this was likely to lead to a snowball
effect if it got started,

Also, at the time Usenix had a lot of cash.   We were budgeting
conferences to have 1000 attendees and getting 2500.  We decided as a
board to offer to help people who could propose a plan to prevent this
Usenet collapse, and sent out a fairly broad plea to our members for
project proposals.   We received two.  The first was Lauren
Weinstein's, to use cable to distribute netnews, and we agreed to help
him purchase some equipment to upload digital signals to be sent in
the "screen refresh" signal time (that sounds so dated today!) from a
satellite to cable TV.   He was able to run a successful experiment,
but the cable companies and Lauren never managed to get together to
carry it further.

The other proposal was Rick Adams.  He had already formed a company
(to my knowledge, the first of what would be called ISPs) and he
proposed an agreement to distribute netnews at a low cost if we could
help him upgrade his computer equipment to handle the increased
load.  We sought legal help to make sure we were not messing up our
nonprofit status, and settled on the following:  Usenix would
guarantee a loan (I recall the amount was roughly $250,000) that he
would get from a bank, and he would distribute netnews at a low
cost.  I was treasurer at the time, and went with Rick to talk to the
bank.   We agreed to open a savings account at the bank and put
$250,000 into it for the duration of the loan -- since we had a lot of
cash, this was no problem for us.  In the event that Rick failed, we
would pay any balance of the loan.  And we asked Rick for regular
financial statements for the duration of the loan.

As everyone knows now, RIck was extremely successful (he had about 5
years of growth at about 15% per month(!) as I recall).  After
several years, Rick's budget was several times the size of Usenix's,
and we mutually agreed to dissolve the agreement.  Rick paid off the
loan, and the netnews disaster never happened.

Looking back on this, there is not a thing I would have done
differently (except perhaps to buy some stock in uunet!).

Steve

@ 2017-03-30 21:38   ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2017-03-30 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 1:29 PM, Steve Johnson <scj at yaccman.com> wrote:
> Can't help much, but I did write fish and ching.
>
> ching took a string from the input, hashed it, converted into hexagrams, and
> quoted a couple of lines of i Ching text .  The text was copied from a book,
> presumably copyrighted, although considering how long ago this all was maybe
> the copyright has expired now...

Funny you mention ching, I recently went poking around /usr/games and
realized that ching wasn't there any more, although I remembered it
from very old Linux systems. So I found the source somewhere and
applied some extremely basic tweaks to get it building:

https://github.com/floren/ching

As the original author, if you think I ought to take that repo down
for any reason, let me know.

john

* [TUHS] UUNET
@ 2017-04-03  1:58   ` John S Quarterman
From: John S Quarterman @ 2017-04-03  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rick was not on the USENIX board at that time. I had to explain who he was
to some board members. -jsq

                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-04-05  3:28 ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2017-04-05  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Mar 29, 2017, at 7:36 PM, Doug McIlroy <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote:
>
> icont, iconc Arizona

Griswald's Icon bits are redistributable.

I had the set of books to go with, once upon a time ...  It was an interesting language.  I wrote a very early "web application" in Icon, circa 1996.  A roughly 100 line script running on BSD that replaced some monster application that sunk a Windows NT "server" when the web query load hit > one per second ;-)

--lyndon

* [TUHS] IP in v8-v10
@ 2017-04-05 12:48   ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2017-04-05 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)