The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Again about etymology: rc
@ 2016-03-23 22:06 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2016-03-23 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: "Jeremy C. Reed"

    > The /etc/rc concept wasn't new in 4BSD.

It was in V6, and probably before that; it's truly ancient.

	Noel

* [TUHS] Again about etymology: rc
@ 2016-03-24  0:09 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2016-03-24  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 6:06 PM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

> It was in V6, and probably before that; it's truly ancient.

​Yep - you see vestiges in ​
v0 - Dennis used an rc file call the parts of the B compiler.    In V1's
man page, it's listed as a bug that
​ calling the B compiler via that script
should probably be a command.
​  Having exec call the shell if the file is executable and not a 4xx magic
number has not yet appeared, but its not that far off.

Clem​
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Again about etymology: rc
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-03-25  1:19 ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2016-03-25  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, 23 March 2016 at 20:20:05 +0100, Rocky Hotas wrote:
> About the History of Unix, I was wondering with another guy why the
> rc script has that name.

I'm surprised nobody else has commented that we saw this about 3
months ago.  Tom Van Vleck wrote about CTSS:

> Louis wrote a disk loaded program called RUNCOM that read command
> lines from a file, substituted arguments into the command, and
> requested the supervisor to run them, and then return control to
> RUNCOM.  This is a shell-like function.

> Revised command processing, RUNCOM, and . SAVED are documented in
> the second edition CTSS manual.
> http://bitsavers.org/pdf/mit/ctss/CTSS_ProgrammersGuide_Dec69.pdf

Our assumption at the time was that the "rc" comes from this program.
The entire message is in the TUHS archives (29 December 2015, Subject:
" CTSS user interface?".  Let me know if you can't find it.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2016-03-24  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016, Rocky Hotas wrote:

> Words may slightly change between the three distributions, but the
> meaning and the informations provided are the same. So, the etymology of
> rc does not appear in the man pages. Do you know how to recover it? Do
> (or did) the letters rc have some meaning in this context?

"Run Commands."

* [TUHS] Again about etymology: rc
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-03-23 21:14 ` Jeremy C. Reed
From: Jeremy C. Reed @ 2016-03-23 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016, Rocky Hotas wrote:

> "The rc command appeared in 4.0BSD" (from HISTORY).

I see that history added in the CSRG sccs revision 6.2 on 91/03/16. I
don't know why it says that as it was in 3BSD too. The /etc/rc concept
wasn't new in 4BSD.

The script was rewritten though for 4BSD to be used for "autoboot". Init
was extended to run /etc/rc to do a fsck if not booting single user
mode. (And if the fsck failed it could go into single user mode.)

The history should be fixed to be more clear about.

(For fun, read the usr/man/man0/changes from 4.0BSD about autoboot and
reboot.)

* [TUHS] Again about etymology: rc
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-03-23 19:57 ` Steve Nickolas
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2016-03-23 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016, Rocky Hotas wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> I am Rocky and this is my first message. Before starting, I would like to thank you for all the valuable informations and stories you post here.
> About the History of Unix, I was wondering with another guy why the rc script has that name. As many of you already know, and according to NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD (current) manual,
>
> "The rc utility is the command script which controls" the startup of various services, "and is invoked by init(8)" (from DESCRIPTION).
> "The rc command appeared in 4.0BSD" (from HISTORY).
>
> Words may slightly change between the three distributions, but the meaning and the informations provided are the same. So, the etymology of rc does not appear in the man pages. Do you know how to recover it? Do (or did) the letters rc have some meaning in this context?
> Cheers,
>
> Rocky

I suppose it's Run Commands?

-uso.

* [TUHS] Again about etymology: rc
@ 2016-03-23 19:53 ` Mantas Mikulėnas
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Mantas Mikulėnas @ 2016-03-23 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

The best reference on that might be <
http://article.olduse.net/4857 at Aucbvax.UUCP>.

(Though also <http://article.olduse.net/203 at brl-bmd.UUCP> – not sure what's
that one about.)

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Again about etymology: rc
@ 2016-03-23 19:38 ` Diomidis Spinellis
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Diomidis Spinellis @ 2016-03-23 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

According to "The New Hacker's Dictionary" (Eric Raymond, MIT Press,
1991) "the startup script /etc/rc is commonly believed to have been
named after older scripts to 'run commands'".  This name was then
adopted by other scripts.

On 23/03/2016 21:20, Rocky Hotas wrote:
> About the History of Unix, I was wondering with another guy why the rc script has that name. As many of you already know, and according to NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD (current) manual,
>
> "The rc utility is the command script which controls" the startup of various services, "and is invoked by init(8)" (from DESCRIPTION).
> "The rc command appeared in 4.0BSD" (from HISTORY).
>
> Words may slightly change between the three distributions, but the meaning and the informations provided are the same. So, the etymology of rc does not appear in the man pages. Do you know how to recover it? Do (or did) the letters rc have some meaning in this context?

* [TUHS] Again about etymology: rc
@ 2016-03-23 19:30 ` Dan Cross
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Dan Cross @ 2016-03-23 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

They stand for, "run-com" as in "run commands": This was the name for a
scripting facility in, I believe, CTSS.

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Rocky Hotas <rockyhotas at post.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> I am Rocky and this is my first message. Before starting, I would like to
> thank you for all the valuable informations and stories you post here.
> About the History of Unix, I was wondering with another guy why the rc
> script has that name. As many of you already know, and according to NetBSD,
> FreeBSD, OpenBSD (current) manual,
>
> "The rc utility is the command script which controls" the startup of
> various services, "and is invoked by init(8)" (from DESCRIPTION).
> "The rc command appeared in 4.0BSD" (from HISTORY).
>
> Words may slightly change between the three distributions, but the meaning
> and the informations provided are the same. So, the etymology of rc does
> not appear in the man pages. Do you know how to recover it? Do (or did) the
> letters rc have some meaning in this context?
> Cheers,
>
> Rocky

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Again about etymology: rc