The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] 2018: eighteen months to the Unix 50th anniversary
@ 2018-01-11  1:22 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-01-11  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: George Michaelson

    > Try this on the birth of the ICL 2900.

Along the same lines, there's this:

  https://www.netjeff.com/humor/item.cgi?file=GenesisForProjects

with its great closing line..

  Noel

* [TUHS] 2018: eighteen months to the Unix 50th anniversary
@ 2018-01-11 21:45 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2018-01-11 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Definitely a classic.
ᐧ

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 8:22 PM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

>     > From: George Michaelson
>
>     > Try this on the birth of the ICL 2900.
>
> Along the same lines, there's this:
>
>   https://www.netjeff.com/humor/item.cgi?file=GenesisForProjects
>
> with its great closing line..
>
>   Noel

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] 2018: eighteen months to the Unix 50th anniversary
@ 2018-01-11 22:08             ` Robert Brockway
From: Robert Brockway @ 2018-01-11 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> No way the big JC could've been born in the middle of winter in that part of
> the world; try about 4BC (Halley's comet) around Spring in March or so.

Quite right.  I was there in winter and got snowed in for 3 days at a
kibbutz near Jerusalem.

I'd also like to endorse the Holocene Calendar at this point since it
results in all events since the development of agriculture having a
positive date.  Much easier for comparison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_calendar

OnUNIX: Development of UNIX started in 11969HE.  See, perfectly sensible.

Rob

* [TUHS] 2018: eighteen months to the Unix 50th anniversary
@ 2018-01-11  0:06             ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2018-01-11  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you're going to bring religion into it... Try this on the birth of
the ICL 2900..

(by D.W. barron, 1976)

http://algebras.org/ggm/oldtestament.html

@ 2018-01-10 23:48           ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-01-10 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2018-01-10 16:53             ` Grant Taylor
From: Grant Taylor @ 2018-01-10 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/10/2018 03:57 AM, Warren Toomey wrote:
>> If not maintaining itself, right on the verge of maintaining itself,
>> to totally sever the GECOS connection.
>
> So, while we don't have an exact date, it's reasonable to assume that,
> sometime around July 1969, Unix was at a point where it was self-hosting.

Somehow I was not aware that Unix was ever dependent on another OS.

I get the impression that GECOS was more integral with early Unix than I
had ever imagined.  It sounds like more than just the GECOS field in
/etc/passwd for associating Unix accounts with GECOS accounts on other
machines.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

From: Andy Kosela @ 2018-01-10 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, January 10, 2018, Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling at kev009.com>
wrote:

> Things like this don't really occur in one day [1]  "Unix was born in
> 1969 not 1974" - dmr
>
> Is it fair to say 1/1/1970 is the spiritual christening and the day to
> celebrate?

Christians also do not know the _exact_ year when Jesus was born, but they
arbitrary chose the date as the start of their Epoch.

The Roman calendar before was counted ab urbe condita (from the foundation
of the city, i.e., Rome) in 753 BC, so that year was the start of their
Epoch.

I think it is fair to say that our calendar started on 1/1/1970, and not
because UNIX was born on that day, but because that day was chosen
arbitrary by the Fathers of UNIX.

We, as UNIX disciples, should start counting our calendar starting with the
UNIX Epoch, so we have 48 and not 2018 now...

--Andy

@ 2018-01-10 10:57           ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2018-01-10 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 05:53:51PM +1100, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> Is it fair to say 1/1/1970 is the spiritual christening and the day to
>> celebrate?
>
>Clearly wkt has something else in mind if he wrote "18 months".  I
>don't think 1 January 1970 had any meaning until it became the
>(currently last) epoch.

HI all, and apologies for the delay in responding. Here's a quote
from an interview that Mike Mahoney did with Ken Thompson:

(http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Documentation/OralHistory/transcripts/thompson.htm)

    MSM: At what point did you feel you had something here?

    Thompson: Um, well, the first one was not at all multiprogrammed,
    and was almost like subroutines on the file system. The read call, the
    system read call, was in fact the call "read" of the file system and it
    was very synchronous, just subroutine call to the file systems for these
    applications. And um there was a very quick rewrite that admitted it was
    an operating system, and it had a kernel user interface that you trapped
    across. I really can’t remember what the realization was, I mean,
    the whole time span, from initially starting with...walking downstairs,
    down there with the idea that we were going to build a file system.

    MSM: When was this, do you remember the time?

    Thompson: Yeah, it was the summer of ‘69.

    MSM: Summer of ‘69 ok

    Thompson: In fact um my wife went on vacation to my family’s place
    in California to visit my parents -- we’d just had a new son in August
    ‘68 -- and uh they hadn’t seen the kid so (unclear) took the kid to
    visit my family and she was gone a month to California and I allocated a
    week each to the shell, to the operating system, the shell, the editor,
    and the assembler, to reproduce itself. During the month she was gone,
    which was in the summer of ‘69, it was totally rewritten in a form that
    looked like an operating system, with tools that were sort of known, you
    know, an assembler, an editor and a shell. If not maintaining itself,
    right on the verge of maintaining itself, to totally sever the GECOS
    connection.

So, while we don't have an exact date, it's reasonable to assume that,
sometime around July 1969, Unix was at a point where it was self-hosting.

Ken is a subscriber to this list, so maybe he might be able to help
narrow down the date.

Cheers all,
	Warren

* [TUHS] 2018: eighteen months to the Unix 50th anniversary
@ 2018-01-10  6:53         ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2018-01-10  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday,  9 January 2018 at 23:25:32 -0700, Kevin Bowling wrote:
> Things like this don't really occur in one day [1]  "Unix was born in
> 1969 not 1974" - dmr
>
> Is it fair to say 1/1/1970 is the spiritual christening and the day to
> celebrate?

Clearly wkt has something else in mind if he wrote "18 months".  I
don't think 1 January 1970 had any meaning until it became the
(currently last) epoch.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
* [TUHS] 2018: eighteen months to the Unix 50th anniversary
@ 2018-01-10  6:25       ` Kevin Bowling
From: Kevin Bowling @ 2018-01-10  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

[1] http://webarchive.loc.gov/all/20100506231949/http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/hist.html

@ 2018-01-10  5:23     ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2018-01-10  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2018-01-10  4:11   ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2018-01-10  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 8:34 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at lemis.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday,  9 January 2018 at 10:30:18 +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> > Hi all, Happy New Year. As it's now only eighteen months to the Unix 50th
> > Anniversary, ...
>
> So we have an exact date?  What happened on that day?

PDP-7 Unix has a date of Jan 1, 1970 date in the TUHS tree. Wikipedia cites
http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch02s01.html as saying it was developed in
1969, but is not more specific. I've seen references to the summer of 1969
Ken starting to write the paper filesystem.

Warner
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] 2018: eighteen months to the Unix 50th anniversary
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-01-10  3:34 ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2018-01-10  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Warner Losh @ 2018-01-09 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm working on a long-term project to reverse engineer the sources to Venix
on my Rainbow based off the now-publicly available v7 sources and recently
re-surfaced disks... I suspect that the compiler is not going to happen...
But lots of the rest of it might...  Will make an interesting
presentation...

@ 2018-01-09  7:30 ` Kevin Bowling
From: Kevin Bowling @ 2018-01-09  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would like to see an in person event somewhere

@ 2018-01-09  2:38     ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-01-09  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018, Noel Hunt wrote:

> Didn't Piers write ACSnet too?

He was part of it, yes; the reference was to Piers getting an MHSnet node
ready for The Event.

* [TUHS] 2018: eighteen months to the Unix 50th anniversary
@ 2018-01-09  2:16   ` Noel Hunt
From: Noel Hunt @ 2018-01-09  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 11:39 AM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Jan 2018, Warren Toomey wrote:
>
> Hi all, Happy New Year. As it's now only eighteen months to the Unix 50th
>> Anniversary, I thought I'd poll you all to get an update of what is being
>> done to celebrate the anniversary, and/or what could we organise that has
>> not yet been organised.
>>

> Gawd; I'd better get started on ACSnet then...  As I recall, Piers did the
> MHSnet stuff, but I don't recall whether it interoperates with ACSnet (too
> long ago!).
>
> --
> Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will
> suffer."

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] 2018: eighteen months to the Unix 50th anniversary
@ 2018-01-09  0:39 ` Dave Horsfall
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-01-09  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018, Warren Toomey wrote:

> Hi all, Happy New Year. As it's now only eighteen months to the Unix
> 50th Anniversary, I thought I'd poll you all to get an update of what is
> being done to celebrate the anniversary, and/or what could we organise
> that has not yet been organised.

Gawd; I'd better get started on ACSnet then...  As I recall, Piers did the
MHSnet stuff, but I don't recall whether it interoperates with ACSnet (too
long ago!).

* [TUHS] 2018: eighteen months to the Unix 50th anniversary
@ 2018-01-09  0:30 Warren Toomey
                   ` (3 more replies)