The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] HP Apollo Series 400 and DOMAIN/OS...
@ 2007-12-21 10:09 asbesto
From: asbesto @ 2007-12-21 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

We just recovered an HP APOLLO Series 400 in our computer museum,
and we got the installation tapes of DOMAIN/OS. It seem a very
particular flavour of BSD 5.3. We also made a dump of the
tapes, to preserve it. :D

Does someone know more about it? What about licensing? Is
it covered by some sort of hobbyist license?

Kisses to everybody! :)

asbesto/freaknet computer museum
http://museum.freaknet.org

--
[ 73 de IW9HGS : freaknet medialab : radiocybernet : poetry hacklab]
[ http://freaknet.org/asbesto -  http://papuasia.org/radiocybernet ]

* [TUHS] HP Apollo Series 400 and DOMAIN/OS...
@ 2007-12-21 10:38 ` Wilko Bulte
From: Wilko Bulte @ 2007-12-21 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quoting asbesto, who wrote on Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 11:09:13AM +0100 ..

> Hi!
>
> We just recovered an HP APOLLO Series 400 in our computer museum,
> and we got the installation tapes of DOMAIN/OS. It seem a very
> particular flavour of BSD 5.3. We also made a dump of the
> tapes, to preserve it. :D

Ah... fond memories.  Our CAD/CAM systems at Philips information systems
were these Domain OS boxes.

> Does someone know more about it? What about licensing? Is
> it covered by some sort of hobbyist license?

No clue.

> Kisses to everybody! :)

Hm, can you send a picture first? ;-)

> asbesto/freaknet computer museum
> http://museum.freaknet.org
>
> --
> [ 73 de IW9HGS : freaknet medialab : radiocybernet : poetry hacklab]
> [ http://freaknet.org/asbesto -  http://papuasia.org/radiocybernet ]
> [ NON SCRIVERMI USANDO LETTERE ACCENTATE!  - NON MANDARMI ALLEGATI ]
> [ *I DELETE* EMAIL > 100K, ATTACHMENTS, HTML, M$-WORD DOC and SPAM ]

--- end of quoted text ---

--
Wilko

* [TUHS] HP Apollo Series 400 and DOMAIN/OS...
@ 2007-12-21 11:15 ` Tim Bradshaw
From: Tim Bradshaw @ 2007-12-21 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 Dec 2007, at 10:09, asbesto wrote:

> We just recovered an HP APOLLO Series 400 in our computer museum,
> and we got the installation tapes of DOMAIN/OS. It seem a very
> particular flavour of BSD 5.3. We also made a dump of the
> tapes, to preserve it. :D

My memory, which is fading, is that DOMAIN/OS was previously Aegis,
and was not actually a Unix at all, although it had (or later had,
perhaps) a lot of compatibility.  It has all sorts of cool features.

* [TUHS] HP Apollo Series 400 and DOMAIN/OS...
@ 2007-12-21 12:31   ` Wilko Bulte
From: Wilko Bulte @ 2007-12-21 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quoting Tim Bradshaw, who wrote on Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 11:15:19AM +0000 ..
> On 21 Dec 2007, at 10:09, asbesto wrote:
> >

> > We just recovered an HP APOLLO Series 400 in our computer museum,
> > and we got the installation tapes of DOMAIN/OS. It seem a very
> > particular flavour of BSD 5.3. We also made a dump of the
> > tapes, to preserve it. :D
> >

> My memory, which is fading, is that DOMAIN/OS was previously Aegis,
> and was not actually a Unix at all, although it had (or later had,
> perhaps) a lot of compatibility.  It has all sorts of cool features.

You could have DomainOS take a BSD or a SysV personality.  Very interesting.

There was also some fileserver functionality that allows
//fileserver/some/path/somefile style access to everything we had hanging
off the tokenring network.

Rather neat.

Wilko

* [TUHS] HP Apollo Series 400 and DOMAIN/OS...
@ 2007-12-21 12:58     ` Tim Bradshaw
From: Tim Bradshaw @ 2007-12-21 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 Dec 2007, at 12:31, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> You could have DomainOS take a BSD or a SysV personality.  Very
> interesting.

Very tangentially, Masscomp's RTU (real time Unix) could do this
too.  Other than that I think it is definitely something best
forgotten, as it was pretty horrid (although my memory may be biassed
by the awfulness of the HW)