The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] Another one (Was: In memoriam: Jon Postel)
@ 2018-10-16 14:39 Noel Chiappa
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-10-16 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Dave Horsfall

    > We lost ... on this day

An email from someone on a related topic has reminded me of someone else you
should make sure is only your list (not sure if you already have him):
J. C. R. Licklider; we lost him on June 26, 1990.

He didn't write much code himself, but the work of people he funded (e.g.
Doug Engelbart, the ARPANet guys, Multics, etc, etc, etc) to work on his
vision has led to today's computerized, information-rich world. For people who
only know today's networked world, the change from what came before, and thus
his impact on the world (since his ideas and the work of people he sponsored
led, directly and indirectly, to much of it), is probably hard to truly
fathom.

He is, in my estimation, one of the most important and influential computer
scientists of all. I wonder how many computer science people had more of an
impact; the list is surely pretty short. Babbage; Turing; who else?

	Noel

* Re: [TUHS] Another one (Was: In memoriam: Jon Postel)
@ 2018-10-16 14:41 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2018-10-16 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Chiappa; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

+1
ᐧ

@ 2018-10-16 15:14   ` David
From: David @ 2018-10-16 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society; +Cc: Noel Chiappa

The book “where wizards stay up late”, mentioned here earlier, is an excellent read
and shows how J. C. R. Licklider brought it all together.

	David

@ 2018-10-16 16:08 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2018-10-16 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Chiappa; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

wrote:

>     > From: Dave Horsfall
>
>     > We lost ... on this day
>
> An email from someone on a related topic has reminded me of someone else
> you
> should make sure is only your list (not sure if you already have him):
> J. C. R. Licklider; we lost him on June 26, 1990.
>
> He didn't write much code himself, but the work of people he funded (e.g.
> Doug Engelbart, the ARPANet guys, Multics, etc, etc, etc) to work on his
> vision has led to today's computerized, information-rich world. For people
> who
> only know today's networked world, the change from what came before, and
> thus
> his impact on the world (since his ideas and the work of people he
> sponsored
> led, directly and indirectly, to much of it), is probably hard to truly
> fathom.
>
> He is, in my estimation, one of the most important and influential computer
> scientists of all. I wonder how many computer science people had more of an
> impact; the list is surely pretty short. Babbage; Turing; who else?

Perhaps I've mentioned this short movie from 1971 before, but it's well
worth a watch: "Computer Networks: The Heralds of Resource Sharing" (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjZ7ktIlSM0)

Licklider, Khan and other players from the early days of the ARPAnet figure
prominently. It's amazingly prescient.

        - Dan C.

* Re: [TUHS] Another one (Was: In memoriam: Jon Postel)
@ 2018-10-16 16:10   ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2018-10-16 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society, Noel Chiappa

Clem Cole wrote in <CAC20D2P_OJhV7QG=uJwnk0Asn-z9h9k3BZqaeTZPQzGtPwoYVg@\
mail.gmail.com>:
 |+1

I have indeed watched "Computer Networks: The Heralds of Resource
Sharing"[1] again today, at least in parts, after i heard that
Paul Allen died.  And John Postel died exactly twenty years ago,
i have read his name a thousand times.

  [1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjZ7ktIlSM0

 |On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 10:40 AM Noel Chiappa <[1]jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.ed\
 |u[/1]> wrote:
 |
 |  [1] mailto:jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
 |
 ||    > From: Dave Horsfall
 |
 ||    > We lost ... on this day
 |
 ||An email from someone on a related topic has reminded me of someone \
 ||else you
 ||should make sure is only your list (not sure if you already have him):
 ||J. C. R. Licklider; we lost him on June 26, 1990.
 |
 ||He didn't write much code himself, but the work of people he funded (e.g.
 ||Doug Engelbart, the ARPANet guys, Multics, etc, etc, etc) to work on his
 ||vision has led to today's computerized, information-rich world. For \
 ||people who
 ||only know today's networked world, the change from what came before, \
 ||and thus
 ||his impact on the world (since his ideas and the work of people he \
 ||sponsored
 ||led, directly and indirectly, to much of it), is probably hard to truly
 ||fathom.
 |
 ||He is, in my estimation, one of the most important and influential \
 ||computer
 ||scientists of all. I wonder how many computer science people had more \
 ||of an
 ||impact; the list is surely pretty short. Babbage; Turing; who else?
 |
 ||        Noel
 --End of <CAC20D2P_OJhV7QG=uJwnk0Asn-z9h9k3BZqaeTZPQzGtPwoYVg@mail.gmail\
 .com>

--steffen

@ 2018-10-29  6:33 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-10-29  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018, Noel Chiappa wrote:

>    > From: Dave Horsfall
>
>    > We lost ... on this day
>
> An email from someone on a related topic has reminded me of someone else you
> should make sure is only your list (not sure if you already have him):
> J. C. R. Licklider; we lost him on June 26, 1990.

[...]

He is now :-)  Thanks.

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] Another one (Was: In memoriam: Jon Postel)
@ 2018-10-16 16:58 Nelson H. F. Beebe
From: Nelson H. F. Beebe @ 2018-10-16 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

For more information on J. C. R. Licklider, see these books

	Cyber reader
	ISBN 0-7148-4071-8

	The Innovators: How a Group of Hackers, Geniuses and Geeks
	Created the Digital Revolution
	ISBN 1-4711-3879-8

	The Dream Machine: J. C. R. Licklider and the Revolution That
	Made Computing Personal
	ISBN 0-670-89976-3

	The computing universe: a journey through a revolution
	ISBN 0-521-76645-1

Detailed BibTeX entries, with table of contents information, can be
found at

	http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/bib/master.html
	http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/bibnet/authors/t/turing-alan-mathison.html
	http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/bibnet/authors/b/babbage-charles.html

(change .html to .bib for a BibTeX file).

A Library of Congress search found another book, by Licklider himself:

	Libraries of the future
	xvii + 219 pp
	Bolt, Beranek, and Newman, Inc., Cambridge, MA (1965)
	LCCN: Z699 .L5

Given its age and small publisher, I suspect that it may be hard to
find; I have not seen it myself.

- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB    Internet e-mail: beebe@math.utah.edu  -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       beebe@acm.org  beebe@computer.org -