The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Jacob Ritorto <jacob.ritorto@gmail.com>
To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society <tuhs@tuhs.org>
Subject: [TUHS] 2.9bsd with networking on 18-bit possible?
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 17:05:18 -0500	[thread overview]

  I have an 11/45 I'm hoping will be running soon.

I'd like to run 2.9BSD on it because it's the most highly functional system
I know of that has "official hopes" to fit on such a restrictive machine.

 I've heard that it's really unlikely / tough to get a kernel built that'll
run tcp (I care mostly about ftp and telnet) on such a
small-memory-footprint machine.  Is this true?

Would anyone be willing to do a quick mentoring / working session with me
to get me up to speed with the constraints I'm facing here and possibly
give me a jump on making adjustments to build such a kernel if possible?

thx
jake

P.S. There's kind of an implied challenge in the 2.11bsd setup docs,
mentioning that "2.11BSD would probably only require a moderate amount of
squeezing to fit on machines with less memory, but it would also be very
unhappy about the prospect."

I'm sure it's been attempted before, but would anyone be up to the
challenge of trying to get that going with networking on an
18-bit-address-space pdp11?