The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] SVN of CSRG Releases
@ 2015-01-14  1:12 Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2015-01-14  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all, I came across this last week:

	http://svnweb.freebsd.org/

It's a Subversion VCS of all the CSRG releases. I'm not sure if it
has been mentioned here before.

Cheers, Warren

* [TUHS] SVN of CSRG Releases
@ 2015-01-14  1:42 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2015-01-14  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aren't the SCCS sources for the real history online?  I know Kirk made
them available on his CD, I have them somewhere.

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 12:12:03PM +1100, Warren Toomey wrote:
> Hi all, I came across this last week:
>
> 	http://svnweb.freebsd.org/
>
> It's a Subversion VCS of all the CSRG releases. I'm not sure if it
> has been mentioned here before.
>
> Cheers, Warren

---

* [TUHS] SVN of CSRG Releases
@ 2015-01-14  1:55   ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2015-01-14  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 05:42:56PM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> Aren't the SCCS sources for the real history online?  I know Kirk made
> them available on his CD, I have them somewhere.

In a previous private e-mail I received from Kirk, he said:
	The folks at UC
	Berkeley have always required me to track distributions of the SCCS
	files as they somehow think of them as still sensitive.

which implies that the SCCS files cannot be released publicly. However,
the SVN version is a "derivative" of the SCCS files and, on that basis,
is publicly available. Go figure :)

Cheers, Warren

* [TUHS] SVN of CSRG Releases
@ 2015-01-14  2:24     ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2015-01-14  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, 14 January 2015 at 12:55:57 +1100, Warren Toomey wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 05:42:56PM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
>> Aren't the SCCS sources for the real history online?  I know Kirk made
>> them available on his CD, I have them somewhere.
>
> In a previous private e-mail I received from Kirk, he said:
> 	The folks at UC
> 	Berkeley have always required me to track distributions of the SCCS
> 	files as they somehow think of them as still sensitive.
>
> which implies that the SCCS files cannot be released publicly. However,
> the SVN version is a "derivative" of the SCCS files and, on that basis,
> is publicly available. Go figure :)

Considering that all the SCCS files are on the CDs that Kirk
distributed, that's particularly strange.  My thought was that, with
the exception of Larry, nobody has the SCCS software any more.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.
On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 01:24:27PM +1100, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Wednesday, 14 January 2015 at 12:55:57 +1100, Warren Toomey wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 05:42:56PM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> >> Aren't the SCCS sources for the real history online?  I know Kirk made
> >> them available on his CD, I have them somewhere.
> >
> > In a previous private e-mail I received from Kirk, he said:
> > 	The folks at UC
> > 	Berkeley have always required me to track distributions of the SCCS
> > 	files as they somehow think of them as still sensitive.
> >
> > which implies that the SCCS files cannot be released publicly. However,
> > the SVN version is a "derivative" of the SCCS files and, on that basis,
> > is publicly available. Go figure :)
>
> Considering that all the SCCS files are on the CDs that Kirk
> distributed, that's particularly strange.  My thought was that, with
> the exception of Larry, nobody has the SCCS software any more.

GNU has an SCCS clone.  A so-so one but James and his crew fixes bugs.
And I suspect that BitSCCS is out there on the intertubes somewhere.
--
---

* [TUHS] SVN of CSRG Releases
@ 2015-01-14  4:41         ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2015-01-14  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry McVoy scripsit:

> GNU has an SCCS clone.  A so-so one but James and his crew fixes bugs.

OpenIndiana has a derivative of the SVR4 version, and so does the
Heirloom Toolkit.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Consider the matter of Analytic Philosophy.  Dennett and Bennett are well-known.
Dennett rarely or never cites Bennett, so Bennett rarely or never cites Dennett.
There is also one Dummett.  By their works shall ye know them.  However, just as
no trinities have fourth persons (Zeppo Marx notwithstanding), Bummett is hardly
known by his works.  Indeed, Bummett does not exist.  It is part of the function
of this and other e-mail messages, therefore, to do what they can to create him.

* [TUHS] SVN of CSRG Releases
@ 2015-01-14 11:24         ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2015-01-14 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
 |On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 01:24:27PM +1100, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
 |>>
 |>> In a previous private e-mail I received from Kirk, he said:
 |>>  The folks at UC
 |>>  Berkeley have always required me to track distributions of the SCCS
 |>>  files as they somehow think of them as still sensitive.
 |>>
 |>> which implies that the SCCS files cannot be released publicly. However,
 |>> the SVN version is a "derivative" of the SCCS files and, on that basis,
 |>> is publicly available. Go figure :)
 |>
 |> Considering that all the SCCS files are on the CDs that Kirk
 |> distributed, that's particularly strange.  My thought was that, with
 |> the exception of Larry, nobody has the SCCS software any more.
 |
 |GNU has an SCCS clone.  A so-so one but James and his crew fixes bugs.
 |And I suspect that BitSCCS is out there on the intertubes somewhere.

Jörg Schilling also has a(n extended) SCCS, now located at [1].

  [1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/schilytools/

I have cloned the (FreeBSD based) git(1) repo mentioned elsewhere
in this thread, but it is no good -- a better version with much
(, much) better meta data is at [2], but it is much larger, of
course.

  [2] https://github.com/jonathangray/csrg

--steffen

* [TUHS] SVN of CSRG Releases
@ 2015-01-14 11:45     ` Diomidis Spinellis
From: Diomidis Spinellis @ 2015-01-14 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14/01/2015 03:55, Warren Toomey wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 05:42:56PM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
>> Aren't the SCCS sources for the real history online?  I know Kirk made
>> them available on his CD, I have them somewhere.
>
> In a previous private e-mail I received from Kirk, he said:
> 	The folks at UC
> 	Berkeley have always required me to track distributions of the SCCS
> 	files as they somehow think of them as still sensitive.
>
> which implies that the SCCS files cannot be released publicly. However,
> the SVN version is a "derivative" of the SCCS files and, on that basis,
> is publicly available. Go figure :)

Here's another data point: when I asked Kirk regarding the public
availability of the SCCS repo he pointed me to
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/csrg/.

At https://github.com/dspinellis/unix-history-repo you can find a single
1GB repository that integrates many of the snapshots and version control
repositories available through TUHS and other sources (including the
CSRG data).  Its commit history starts on Jun 20th 1972 with the First
Research Edition and ends with FreeBSD 10 in 2015.  Git blame works
across all the history's commits.

* [TUHS] SVN of CSRG Releases
@ 2015-01-14 17:38       ` Jacob Ritorto
From: Jacob Ritorto @ 2015-01-14 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Not to over-state the importance of this particular version control system,
but having this code on github is game-changing; thanks, guys.

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 6:45 AM, Diomidis Spinellis <dds at aueb.gr> wrote:

> On 14/01/2015 03:55, Warren Toomey wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 05:42:56PM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
>>
>>> Aren't the SCCS sources for the real history online?  I know Kirk made
>>> them available on his CD, I have them somewhere.
>>>

>> In a previous private e-mail I received from Kirk, he said:
>>         The folks at UC
>>         Berkeley have always required me to track distributions of the
>> SCCS
>>         files as they somehow think of them as still sensitive.
>>
>> which implies that the SCCS files cannot be released publicly. However,
>> the SVN version is a "derivative" of the SCCS files and, on that basis,
>> is publicly available. Go figure :)
>>

> Here's another data point: when I asked Kirk regarding the public
> availability of the SCCS repo he pointed me to http://svnweb.freebsd.org/
> csrg/.
>
> At https://github.com/dspinellis/unix-history-repo you can find a single
> 1GB repository that integrates many of the snapshots and version control
> repositories available through TUHS and other sources (including the CSRG
> data).  Its commit history starts on Jun 20th 1972 with the First Research
> Edition and ends with FreeBSD 10 in 2015.  Git blame works across all the
> history's commits.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] SVN of CSRG Releases
@ 2015-01-14 17:52         ` cowan
From: cowan @ 2015-01-14 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jacob Ritorto scripsit:

> Not to over-state the importance of this particular version control
> system, but having this code on github is game-changing; thanks, guys.

When Github collapses because it can't make money, and there's nowhere
to move all 20 million repositories, *that* will be game-changing.
~~ grumble ~~

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Wer es in kleinen Dingen mit der Wahrheit nicht ernst nimmt, dem kann
man auch in grossen Dingen nicht vertrauen.  --Albert Einstein on honesty

* [TUHS] SVN of CSRG Releases
@ 2015-01-14 18:34           ` Jacob Ritorto
From: Jacob Ritorto @ 2015-01-14 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

haha, totally +1, but it's soooo easy to broadcast code, garner
contribution and collaborate this way that it's almost worth the risk.