The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Trying to compile cron
@ 2023-12-28 21:21 KenUnix
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: KenUnix @ 2023-12-28 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: UNIX TUHS Group

Hi. I am trying to compile cron for the 3b2-400 and 3b2-700
and am apparently missing required libraries. The reason is
on the 3b2-400 after boot up it complains there is corruption
in the crontab for every user lp, sysadm, root and so on.

# make cron
        cc -O  cron.c -o cron
undefined                       first referenced
el_add                              cron.o
el_delete                           cron.o
el_empty                            cron.o
el_first                            cron.o
el_init                             cron.o
xmalloc                             cron.o
el_remove                           cron.o
num                                 cron.o
days_in_mon                         cron.o
days_btwn                           cron.o
ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to cron
*** Error code 13

Stop.

Does anyone have these libraries? Thanks.
--
WWL 📚

* [TUHS] Re: Trying to compile cron
@ 2023-12-28 21:55 ` Jeremy C. Reed
From: Jeremy C. Reed @ 2023-12-28 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KenUnix; +Cc: UNIX TUHS Group

On Thu, 28 Dec 2023, KenUnix wrote:

> Hi. I am trying to compile cron for the 3b2-400 and 3b2-700
> and am apparently missing required libraries. The reason is
> on the 3b2-400 after boot up it complains there is corruption
> in the crontab for every user lp, sysadm, root and so on.
>
> # make cron
>         cc -O  cron.c -o cron
> undefined                       first referenced
>  symbol                             in file
> el_add                              cron.o
> el_delete                           cron.o
> el_empty                            cron.o
> el_first                            cron.o
> el_init                             cron.o
> xmalloc                             cron.o
> el_remove                           cron.o
> num                                 cron.o
> days_in_mon                         cron.o
> days_btwn                           cron.o
> ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to cron
> *** Error code 13
>
> Stop.
>
> Does anyone have these libraries? Thanks.

At first I thought the el_ code was editline code but that doesn't make
sense in cron, but then I found the General-Purpose Event List Manager.

See
https://www.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=SysVR4/cmd/cron/elm.c
and
https://www.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=SysVR4/cmd/cron/funcs.c

Does your cron source come with this other code?

By the way, how to browse the SysVR4 code at TUHS?

* [TUHS] Re: Trying to compile cron
@ 2023-12-28 21:57   ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2023-12-28 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy C. Reed; +Cc: KenUnix, UNIX TUHS Group

On Thu, Dec 28, 2023, 2:55 PM Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Dec 2023, KenUnix wrote:
>
> > Hi. I am trying to compile cron for the 3b2-400 and 3b2-700
> > and am apparently missing required libraries. The reason is
> > on the 3b2-400 after boot up it complains there is corruption
> > in the crontab for every user lp, sysadm, root and so on.
> >
> > # make cron
> >         cc -O  cron.c -o cron

Try just cc *.c -o cron

@ 2023-12-28 22:13   ` KenUnix
From: KenUnix @ 2023-12-28 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy C. Reed; +Cc: UNIX TUHS Group

I forgot to mention it is running System-5 r3 not r4..

On Thu, Dec 28, 2023 at 4:55 PM Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Dec 2023, KenUnix wrote:
>
> > Hi. I am trying to compile cron for the 3b2-400 and 3b2-700
> > and am apparently missing required libraries. The reason is
> > on the 3b2-400 after boot up it complains there is corruption
> > in the crontab for every user lp, sysadm, root and so on.
> >
> > # make cron
> >         cc -O  cron.c -o cron
> > undefined                       first referenced
> >  symbol                             in file
> > el_add                              cron.o
> > el_delete                           cron.o
> > el_empty                            cron.o
> > el_first                            cron.o
> > el_init                             cron.o
> > xmalloc                             cron.o
> > el_remove                           cron.o
> > num                                 cron.o
> > days_in_mon                         cron.o
> > days_btwn                           cron.o
> > ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to cron
> > *** Error code 13
> >
> > Stop.
> >
> > Does anyone have these libraries? Thanks.
>
> At first I thought the el_ code was editline code but that doesn't make
> sense in cron, but then I found the General-Purpose Event List Manager.
>
> See
> https://www.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=SysVR4/cmd/cron/elm.c
> and
> https://www.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=SysVR4/cmd/cron/funcs.c
>
> Does your cron source come with this other code?
>
> By the way, how to browse the SysVR4 code at TUHS?

--
End of line
JOB TERMINATED

* [TUHS] Re: Trying to compile cron
@ 2023-12-28 22:44 ` Rich Salz
From: Rich Salz @ 2023-12-28 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KenUnix; +Cc: UNIX TUHS Group

One thing that would INCREDIBLY help people trying to help you is find
where the symbol is used, look up the variable types in the function call,
and create a prototype.  For example, both of these are valid xmalloc
instances:
   char *xmalloc(int size);
   char *xmalloc(int size, unsigned char fillvalue)
Seeing the use in the code you are trying to compile will help avoid wrong
answers.

People already likely gave you the answers, but a little leg work on your
own before posting will help.

@ 2023-12-29  2:27 ` segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2023-12-29  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society