The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] etymology of yacc
@ 2023-10-03  1:25 Douglas McIlroy
From: Douglas McIlroy @ 2023-10-03  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list, scj

Steve,

Was Yacc an original coinage, or was it inspired by a similar acronym
for yet another whatever? The question is inspired by Yamoo, yet
another map of Orion, which is mentioned in today's NYT:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/02/science/orion-nebula-webb-planets.html.
Do the two acronyms share a common ancestor?

Doug

* [TUHS] Re: etymology of yacc
@ 2023-10-03 19:14 ` Ron Natalie
From: Ron Natalie @ 2023-10-03 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas McIlroy, TUHS main list, scj

According to WIkipedia (for what that’s worth), it was Stephen Johnson’s
coining of it for YACC that started it all.

>Was Yacc an original coinage, or was it inspired by a similar acronym
>for yet another whatever? The question is inspired by Yamoo, yet
>another map of Orion, which is mentioned in today's NYT:
>https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/02/science/orion-nebula-webb-planets.html.
>Do the two acronyms share a common ancestor?
>
>Doug

* [TUHS] Re: etymology of yacc
@ 2023-10-03 19:42 ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2023-10-03 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas McIlroy; +Cc: TUHS main list

From https://www.computerworld.com/article/2534771/yacc--unix--and-advice-from--bell-labs-alumni-stephen-johnson.html

What made you name your parser generator in the form of an acronym: Yet Another Compiler Compiler? There were other Compiler-compilers in use at Bell Labs, especially as part of the Multics project. I was familiar with a version of McClure's TMG. When Jeff Ullman heard about my program, he said in astonishment "Another compiler-compiler?". Thus the name...

> On Oct 2, 2023, at 6:25 PM, Douglas McIlroy <douglas.mcilroy@dartmouth.edu> wrote:
>
> Steve,
>
> Was Yacc an original coinage, or was it inspired by a similar acronym
> for yet another whatever? The question is inspired by Yamoo, yet
> another map of Orion, which is mentioned in today's NYT:
> https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/02/science/orion-nebula-webb-planets.html.
> Do the two acronyms share a common ancestor?
>
> Doug

* [TUHS] Re: etymology of yacc
@ 2023-10-04  5:22   ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2023-10-04  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)