* Re: [TUHS] Soft hyphens
@ 2021-03-29 20:28 M Douglas McIlroy
From: M Douglas McIlroy @ 2021-03-29 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peter, TUHS main list

> When hyphenation is disabled, soft (discretionary) hyphens are
> interpreted.

In pre-Unix roff hyphenation mode 0 turned off all breaking of words.
The original troff, however, behaved as described above, and alsowant
broke genuinely hyphenated words in mode 0. If you t really wants
to break words one day, you may use

* Re: [TUHS] Soft hyphens
@ 2021-03-29 20:40 ` M Douglas McIlroy
From: M Douglas McIlroy @ 2021-03-29 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peter, TUHS main list

Sorry, I hit send by mistake. I intended to conclude with:

If you really want to hyphenate one day and not the next,
you can pick a character c and use ".hc c" to turn it on and
.char c \& to turn it off.

Doug