The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
 help / color / Atom feed
* [TUHS] early vm systems
@ 2019-08-31  9:44 Steve Simon
  2019-08-31 12:04 ` Thomas Paulsen
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Steve Simon @ 2019-08-31  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

hi

the other early vm system not mentioned yet is the one Charles Forsyth wrote at the university of york for sunos. i never used it as i was learning v7 on an interdata 30 miles away at the time but i read his excellent paper on it.

-Steve





^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [TUHS] early vm systems
  2019-08-31  9:44 [TUHS] early vm systems Steve Simon
@ 2019-08-31 12:04 ` Thomas Paulsen
  2019-08-31 16:00   ` ron minnich
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: Thomas Paulsen @ 2019-08-31 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Simon; +Cc: tuhs


--- Ursprüngliche Nachricht ---
Von: Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net>
Datum: 31.08.2019 11:44:22
An: tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org
Betreff: [TUHS] early vm systems

> hi
>
> the other early vm system not mentioned yet is the one Charles Forsyth wrote
> at the university of york for sunos. i never used it as i was learning v7
> on an interdata 30 miles away at the time but i read his excellent paper
> on it.
did you mean: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/2411547_The_Mether_System_Distributed_Shared_Memory_for_SunOS_40



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [TUHS] early vm systems
  2019-08-31 12:04 ` Thomas Paulsen
@ 2019-08-31 16:00   ` ron minnich
  2019-08-31 18:27     ` Warner Losh
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 4+ messages in thread
From: ron minnich @ 2019-08-31 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Paulsen; +Cc: Steve Simon, TUHS main list

On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 5:05 AM Thomas Paulsen
<thomas.paulsen@firemail.de> wrote:
>
>
> --- Ursprüngliche Nachricht ---
> Von: Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net>
> Datum: 31.08.2019 11:44:22
> An: tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org
> Betreff: [TUHS] early vm systems
>
> > hi
> >
> > the other early vm system not mentioned yet is the one Charles Forsyth wrote
> > at the university of york for sunos. i never used it as i was learning v7
> > on an interdata 30 miles away at the time but i read his excellent paper
> > on it.
> did you mean: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/2411547_The_Mether_System_Distributed_Shared_Memory_for_SunOS_40


no, that was me :-)

charles' excellent paper,
"More Taste: Less Greed?
or
Sending UNIX to the Fat Farm", http://www.terzarima.net/doc/taste.pdf

is a good read, as is everything he writes.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: [TUHS] early vm systems
  2019-08-31 16:00   ` ron minnich
@ 2019-08-31 18:27     ` Warner Losh
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 4+ messages in thread
From: Warner Losh @ 2019-08-31 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ron minnich; +Cc: Steve Simon, TUHS main list

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1066 bytes --]

On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 10:01 AM ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 5:05 AM Thomas Paulsen
> <thomas.paulsen@firemail.de> wrote:
> >
> >
> > --- Ursprüngliche Nachricht ---
> > Von: Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net>
> > Datum: 31.08.2019 11:44:22
> > An: tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org
> > Betreff: [TUHS] early vm systems
> >
> > > hi
> > >
> > > the other early vm system not mentioned yet is the one Charles Forsyth
> wrote
> > > at the university of york for sunos. i never used it as i was learning
> v7
> > > on an interdata 30 miles away at the time but i read his excellent
> paper
> > > on it.
> > did you mean:
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/2411547_The_Mether_System_Distributed_Shared_Memory_for_SunOS_40
>
>
> no, that was me :-)
>
> charles' excellent paper,
> "More Taste: Less Greed?
> or
> Sending UNIX to the Fat Farm", http://www.terzarima.net/doc/taste.pdf
>
> is a good read, as is everything he writes.
>

It is a good read... Is Charles Forsyth's code available?

Warner

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 1966 bytes --]

<div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><br></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 10:01 AM ron minnich &lt;<a href="mailto:rminnich@gmail.com">rminnich@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 5:05 AM Thomas Paulsen<br>
&lt;<a href="mailto:thomas.paulsen@firemail.de" target="_blank">thomas.paulsen@firemail.de</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; --- Ursprüngliche Nachricht ---<br>
&gt; Von: Steve Simon &lt;<a href="mailto:steve@quintile.net" target="_blank">steve@quintile.net</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; Datum: 31.08.2019 11:44:22<br>
&gt; An: <a href="mailto:tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org" target="_blank">tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org</a><br>
&gt; Betreff: [TUHS] early vm systems<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; hi<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; the other early vm system not mentioned yet is the one Charles Forsyth wrote<br>
&gt; &gt; at the university of york for sunos. i never used it as i was learning v7<br>
&gt; &gt; on an interdata 30 miles away at the time but i read his excellent paper<br>
&gt; &gt; on it.<br>
&gt; did you mean: <a href="https://www.researchgate.net/publication/2411547_The_Mether_System_Distributed_Shared_Memory_for_SunOS_40" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://www.researchgate.net/publication/2411547_The_Mether_System_Distributed_Shared_Memory_for_SunOS_40</a><br>
<br>
<br>
no, that was me :-)<br>
<br>
charles&#39; excellent paper,<br>
&quot;More Taste: Less Greed?<br>
or<br>
Sending UNIX to the Fat Farm&quot;, <a href="http://www.terzarima.net/doc/taste.pdf" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.terzarima.net/doc/taste.pdf</a><br>
<br>
is a good read, as is everything he writes.<br></blockquote><div><br></div><div>It is a good read... Is Charles Forsyth&#39;s code available?</div><div><br></div><div>Warner </div></div></div>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 4+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2019-08-31  9:44 [TUHS] early vm systems Steve Simon
2019-08-31 12:04 ` Thomas Paulsen
2019-08-31 16:00   ` ron minnich
2019-08-31 18:27     ` Warner Losh

The Unix Heritage Society mailing list

Archives are clonable: git clone --mirror http://inbox.vuxu.org/tuhs

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.vuxu.org/vuxu.archive.tuhs


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git