The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] (Amdahl UNIX) "Notes on Au Performance - or How to get the Pb out of Au"
@ 2023-07-19  1:08 Tom Lyon
From: Tom Lyon @ 2023-07-19  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

This is perhaps the first significant document I wrote at Amdahl. Although
undated, I believe this was written in August 1979, after I had attended a
2 week class at IBM Chicago about VM//370(CP) internals and performance.

The paper makes reference to V7 UNIX being "on order", so this is when the
V6 UNIX system was in use.  IIRC, V7 UNIX was released in Nov. of 1979.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cB2eqTwmicj1AQOiULDZjED5Rq-_V4N4/view?usp=sharing

Huge thanks to my friend Karl D. for hanging on to this for 44 years.

* [TUHS] Re: (Amdahl UNIX) "Notes on Au Performance - or How to get the Pb out of Au"
@ 2023-07-19 13:50 ` Sebastien F4GRX
From: Sebastien F4GRX @ 2023-07-19 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Hi,

Thank you, this is a very interesting read. I will share this with
friends as soon as this is publicly available in the TUHS archives.

We see premices of the Linux Copy-On-Write forking method!

I also note that they decided to avoid a global kernel lock.

Sebastien

@ 2023-07-19 14:23   ` Sebastien F4GRX
From: Sebastien F4GRX @ 2023-07-19 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Hi again,

this remark actually applies to the other document about unix370
feasability, oops!

However, That one is also interesting. I read in it at 6.1.4 "Login
procedure optimization" about "combining (..) (init, getty and login)
into one [program]". We can see this as the premices for the modern
systemd :-)

Sebastien