The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] ld (was v6tar from v7 on v6, too large?)
@ 2015-12-10 21:08 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2015-12-10 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

That's exactly right. ld performs the same task as LOAD did on BESYS,
except it builds the result in the file system rather than user
space. Over time it became clear that "linker" would be a better
term, but that didn't warrant canning the old name. Gresham's law
then came into play and saddled us with the ponderous and
misleading term, "link editor".

Doug

@ 2015-12-10 22:28 ` Marc Rochkind
From: Marc Rochkind @ 2015-12-10 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

After a while, I shortened this in my mind to something like "the UNIX
linker is called ld." No problem with that, but a few times I
absent-mindedly typed "ln" for "linker", which generally produced very
strange results.

--Marc