The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org Re: User maintained programs in the Second Edition
@ 2016-12-23 18:52 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2016-12-23 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> So was "/usr/bin" initially only for user-contributed binaries, or was
it from its inception a place for binaries that were not essential for
system boot and could not fit in the root partition?

The latter is my understanding, but early on the two
interpretations would have been nearly coextensive.
Remember, though, that even Ken wrote some "user-contributed"
code.

Doug

* [TUHS] tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org Re: User maintained programs in the Second Edition
@ 2016-12-23 21:09 ` Marc Rochkind
From: Marc Rochkind @ 2016-12-23 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I vaguely recall that the system was supposed to run if /usr/bin wasn't
mounted.

There was, obviously, a big difference in criticality between, say, sh and
ed vs. troff and... everything I ever did.

--Marc