The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] sort of unrelated but
@ 2016-03-22  1:11 Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2016-03-22  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

https://newsroom.intel.com/news-releases/andrew-s-grove-1936-2016/

I know some of the processor people at intel and I was looking around,
found this, interesting read if you are into the history:

http://people.cs.clemson.edu/~mark/330/chronques.html

For those that don't know, Colwell did the P6 pipeline, I think under
Groove or right after Groove got cancer.  There was P5, then P6, then
they did a different pipeline that they called Pentium 4 (made no sense
to me but their names never do).  The Pentium 4 was the one where
they speculated on what the answer would be for some instructions.
As in you could do a load and they'd guess that it was zero or not.
They were going for great clock rate, and they got it, but they also
got instructions that would take 2000 cycles to get through.

That pipeline got booted and so far as I know, the Colwell P6 pipeline
lives on in every Intel processor after the Pentium 4.

Getting back to Andy, I loved his time as CEO, I think he did a lot of
good for that company.  Here's to him!

* [TUHS] sort of unrelated but
@ 2016-03-22  2:21 ` Marc Rochkind
From: Marc Rochkind @ 2016-03-22  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recall Grove's book, High Output Management. And, the companion book,
written by employees: Dealing With High Output Management.

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 7:11 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> https://newsroom.intel.com/news-releases/andrew-s-grove-1936-2016/
>
> I know some of the processor people at intel and I was looking around,
> found this, interesting read if you are into the history:
>
> http://people.cs.clemson.edu/~mark/330/chronques.html
>
> For those that don't know, Colwell did the P6 pipeline, I think under
> Groove or right after Groove got cancer.  There was P5, then P6, then
> they did a different pipeline that they called Pentium 4 (made no sense
> to me but their names never do).  The Pentium 4 was the one where
> they speculated on what the answer would be for some instructions.
> As in you could do a load and they'd guess that it was zero or not.
> They were going for great clock rate, and they got it, but they also
> got instructions that would take 2000 cycles to get through.
>
> That pipeline got booted and so far as I know, the Colwell P6 pipeline
> lives on in every Intel processor after the Pentium 4.
>
> Getting back to Andy, I loved his time as CEO, I think he did a lot of
> good for that company.  Here's to him!

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] sort of unrelated but
@ 2016-03-22 13:38 ` Nelson H. F. Beebe
From: Nelson H. F. Beebe @ 2016-03-22 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> posted a link to an Intel press release
about the death yesterday (21-Mar-2016) of Intel co-founder Andy
Grove.

There is a decent biography of him in this book:

@Book{Tedlow:2006:AGL,
  author =       "Richard S. Tedlow",
  title =        "{Andy Grove}: the life and times of an {American}",
  publisher =    "Portfolio",
  address =      "New York, NY, USA",
  pages =        "xxii + 568 + 16",
  year =         "2006",
  ISBN =         "1-59184-139-9",
  ISBN-13 =      "978-1-59184-139-5",
  LCCN =         "HD9696.S44 T588 2006",
  bibdate =      "Mon Apr 23 08:18:31 MDT 2007",
  bibsource =    "http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/bib/master.bib;
                 z3950.loc.gov:7090/Voyager",
  acknowledgement = ack-nhfb,
  subject =      "Grove, Andrew S; Chief executive officers; United
                 States; Biography",
}

There is more about Andy, and others behind Intel and other
companies in Silicon Valley, in this book:

@String{pub-OXFORD              = "Oxford University Press"}
@String{pub-OXFORD:adr          = "Walton Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK"}

@Book{Berlin:2005:MBM,
  author =       "Leslie Berlin",
  title =        "The man behind the microchip: {Robert Noyce} and the
                 invention of {Silicon Valley}",
  publisher =    pub-OXFORD,
  address =      pub-OXFORD:adr,
  pages =        "xi + 402",
  year =         "2005",
  ISBN =         "0-19-516343-5",
  ISBN-13 =      "978-0-19-516343-8",
  LCCN =         "TK7807.N69 B47 2005",
  bibdate =      "Tue Oct 11 05:00:44 MDT 2005",
  bibsource =    "http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/bib/master.bib;
                 z3950.loc.gov:7090/Voyager",
  acknowledgement = ack-nhfb,
  keywords =     "Fairchild Semiconductor Corporation; integrated
                 circuit (co-invented with Jack Kilby (1923--2005) of
                 Texas Instruments; Intel Corporation; Nobel Prize in
                 Physics 2000); Shockley Semiconductor Laboratories",
  subject =      "Noyce, Robert N.; Electronics engineers; United
                 States; Biography; Santa Clara Valley (Santa Clara
                 County, Calif.); History",
  subject-dates = "1927--1990",
}