The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] LoC now involved with saving digital history
@ 2003-02-19 15:26 Ian King
From: Ian King @ 2003-02-19 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

This sounds similar to some work with which I'm involved at the
University of Washington.  I'll see what I can learn....  -- Ian

* [TUHS] LoC now involved with saving digital history
@ 2003-02-25 17:51         ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2003-02-25 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello from Gregg C Levine
Same here. But as an American I am fully aware of the differences on
all three levels. State, Federal, and City. And why they do, or don't
work. I did succeed in figuring out what our friend in Oz was talking
about. And I am pleased that the LoC is getting involved.
-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

On

@ 2003-02-25 16:05       ` Wm. G. McGrath
From: Wm. G. McGrath @ 2003-02-25 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-02-25  0:03     ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2003-02-25  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, 20 February 2003 at  9:02:28 +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2003-Feb-19 19:47:21 +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at lemis.com> wrote:
>> You know that TUHS is based in Australia, right?  "Federal" has a
>> different meaning here.  Of course, there's a possibility that the
>> Australian government would be interested.  I'll investigate.
>
> Not that great a difference.  Both Oz and the US have a very similar
> Federal/state structure.  Getting US Federal funding for an Oz site
> is unlikely (but the LoC is going to need to work out how to handle
> the fact that the Internet doesn't acknowledge national boundaries
> and some of the information it needs to archive won't be in the US).

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  In America, "Federal" refers to the American
federal government.  Here it refers to the Australian federal
government.  Thus, the funds that the original poster mentioned
would probably not be available.

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key
Please note: we block mail from major spammers, notably yahoo.com.
From: Robertdkeys @ 2003-02-20 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe it might be played from the angle that a US mirror could
be granted funds in some manner, to complement the down
under repository.   Just a wild thought...

Bob Keys

* [TUHS] LoC now involved with saving digital history
@ 2003-02-20 12:25     ` Wm. G. McGrath
From: Wm. G. McGrath @ 2003-02-20 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:02:28 +1100
Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy at alcatel.com.au> wrote:

>Not that great a difference.  Both Oz and the US have a very
>similar Federal/state structure.  Getting US Federal funding for an
>Oz site is unlikely (but the LoC is going to need to work out how
>to handle the fact that the Internet doesn't acknowledge national
>boundaries and some of the information it needs to archive won't be
>in the US).

Yup. There are lots of issues here. The story made it to /.
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/02/16/2322243&mode=thread&tid=99
and things like media longevity, data formats, and future
availability came up in the comments section. I believe we need to
somehow provide the future with the benefit of our intelligence and
experience as well as with information. And TUHS can be of help
there. Besides, a great deal of Unix history (not all of it be any
means) was created in the US: Bell Labs, Digital, Sun, IBM, SCO,
Xenix, etc. So there is clearly a US 'interest'. I guess the
question may be whether the Library is going to archive systems or
restrict itself to content, ie web pages.

	bill

* [TUHS] LoC now involved with saving digital history
@ 2003-02-19 22:02   ` Peter Jeremy
From: Peter Jeremy @ 2003-02-19 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2003-Feb-19 19:47:21 +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at lemis.com> wrote:
>You know that TUHS is based in Australia, right?  "Federal" has a
>different meaning here.  Of course, there's a possibility that the
>Australian government would be interested.  I'll investigate.

Not that great a difference.  Both Oz and the US have a very similar
Federal/state structure.  Getting US Federal funding for an Oz site
is unlikely (but the LoC is going to need to work out how to handle
the fact that the Internet doesn't acknowledge national boundaries
and some of the information it needs to archive won't be in the US).

Peter

* [TUHS] LoC now involved with saving digital history
@ 2003-02-19 15:29 Ian King
From: Ian King @ 2003-02-19 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oops, did that go out in HTML?  Sorry, new install of Outlook....

@ 2003-02-19  9:17 ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2003-02-19  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-02-19  7:41 Robertdkeys
From: Robertdkeys @ 2003-02-19  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-02-19  7:08 Robertdkeys
From: Robertdkeys @ 2003-02-19  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wild long shot.... I used to write grants for this kind of thing.   Find out
more
info and point me to where the granting info is and lets make a collective
grunt to see if something is possible.  Heck, all kinds of funds are available
if you submit the right kinds of proposals.  Yeah, I know, it is a pipedream,
but.....(:+}}...

Bob Keys
(stirring the history pot, gently.....)

* [TUHS] LoC now involved with saving digital history
@ 2003-02-19  5:31 Wm. G. McGrath
From: Wm. G. McGrath @ 2003-02-19  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Howdy all,

	Is it possible that the Unix Archive might be able to get a little
funding or assistance from the Library of Congress? This recent
story in the Washington Post suggests that there is now a lot of
money available in theory at least. I wonder if we would qualify for
funding?

	bill

 Plan Approved to Save U.S. Digital History -
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10278-2003Feb14.html?referrer=email
The Library of Congress announced the next step in the effort to
preserve that history: congressional approval of its plan for the
National Digital Information Infrastructure and Preservation
Program.